Spring 2006 Visit To Haida and Steinschönau
Joe Voyles (USA)recently made the “pilgrimage” to Steinschönau (Kamenicky
Senov) with Kelvin and Sue Bell (UK). They
were joined for a day by Jakub Smid, well known researcher in the
The Bells and
Voyles drove to the Czech Republic from their “rendezvous point” in
Germany. Their “base camp
was the town of
Here is a
picture of the steeple of the
With a map from 1905 showing the house numbers used in Meisterdorf, the group headed to that ancestral village. Rosemarie reports that “some houses were still standing. Others had been replaced. We found empty lots by a side street and brook, and referred to the spot as “Hackel” corner.
noted that the road from Haida to Steinschönau goes uphill amongst
forests. After passing through the
Here we see Joe and Kelvin – somehow Rod’s scanner flipped the two men in this picture – before the Basalt cliffs. In addition, to give a person an idea of the size and scale of this formation, we have a picture with Jakub in the foreground. An impressive geological formation that our ancestors would have been very familiar with.
quick, pleasant hike back to their cars, the party headed into
Steinschönau. Their first stop was the
In the vicinity, is the old school that is still in use today. Our ancestors knew this building as the German Folkschool. It was built in 1896 and the first class started there on the 1st of September 1896.
With map in hand and the location of Marie Palme’s ancestral home marked, the party headed down the hill into lower Steinschönau and to the house. Here a picture was taken of Rosemarie and Sue in front of the home of Marie Elizabeth Palme – great grandmother of Ignaz Hackel, father of Emilie Hackel – a shared relative. For more the lineage – click here.
After the visit here the group visited the cemetery in Steinschönau in hopes of finding some additional trace of their ancestors. While they had no luck in finding a cemetery marker, they did find this rather striking memorial to Franz Anton Knechtel – Glashändler.
[Note Dr. Stephan Barta provided some additional information regarding this remarkable monument. The inscription for Franz Anton Knechtel includes an inscription that says: „der leidenden Menschheit Vater“, translated:“father of the suffering mankind“, for he founded an orphanage and a home for old and poor people. Here is a picture from Dr. Barta Franz Anton Knechtel was born in 1756 and died in 1822. The monument is listed with the government which is required to protect it.
Franz Anton Knechtel was married to Maria Anna (1781-1756?) and the following watercolor portrait was done in 1819. Truly a treasure! She was the mother of Clemens and Emmanuel Knechtel.
It was a wonderful adventure for these folks – who just so happened to have met via this website! Thereby fulfilling the goal of reconnecting the scattered descendants of the men and women who once called Steinschönau home.