Having divided these into three groups, I wanted to try some of the less harsh methods I used to pretty much strip the first ancients I got oops (a dash of vinegar can be a powerful cleaner in the wrong hands!). So, here is the plan
1. All coins would be washed with a bit of hot soapy tap water and scrubbed with a nylon brush. Should note that here in Forks, Washington our water is fluoridated if that makes any difference.
2. The coins would be left in that hot soapy water over night.
3. The groups would then be soaked in distilled water for a weekend at first.
a. Group 1 distilled water would be heated up in the microwave to a boil and then the coins added to the water and left to sit on the refrigerator looking at affect of heated water;
b. Group 2 distilled water container would be left in direct sunlight hope its sunny here in the Continental USAs only temperate rainforest;
c. Group 3 room temperature and sitting in the window that really doesnt get light but is out of the way.
4. Following their weekend bath each group would be scrubbed with the brushes and hot soapy water. They would then be returned to this distilled water for a week, scrubbed and then returned.
5. Three cleaners would be used. Unfortunately, there would be a delay in the lanolin product in that the best source was in New Zealand. So, instead of waiting for it, I turned to Ebay and found a source for a lanolin mix that would be tried. The NZ lanolin combination would be used in a future experiment with different coins.
a. Distilled water soaking Group 1
b. Olive oil (without the vinegar) Group 2;
c. Lanolin Oil mixture Group 3.