Transcribed and formatted for the Internet by Carol Foss c 1999 All rights reserved.
This notice must remain when copied or downloaded
Updated Feb 2001

Habergarten, Adam
Hagadorn, Mary Edith
Haggerty, Robert
Hahn, Louis
Hall, Frank L
Hall, Ida
Hall, Jacob
Hall, Rosa Magdalene Fend
Haller, Walter Robert
Hamilton, Anna K
Hamilton, William Edward
Hansen, Cassie Tripp
Hansen, Emma Elizabeth Lotzgesell
Hansen, Marjory Fowler Burgess
Hanson, Clark Alfred
Hanson, Elizabeth Colby
Hanson, Phillip C
Harding, Ernest
Harlow, Adeliade Pominville
Harlow, J C
Harper, Mary Howard
Harrington, Percy Lovel
Harrington, Thomas Sherman
Harris, Olive
Hart, Eliza R Wilson
Hart, Fitch James
Hassell, Florence Aimes
Haswell, Charles T
Hatch, Edward H
Haynes, Mary Elizabeth Rea
Heath, Harry Leroy
Heister, Caroline Lena Megerle
Helgeson, Alpha Zeman
Henderson, Calvin
Henson, Frederick Pace
Henson, Jack "Frost"
Henson, John
Henson, John Fletcher
Hickok, John Dewey
Hill, Sigird Rose Matson
Hillstrom, John
Hitch, John
Hoare, Joseph Anthony
Hooker, James W
Hooker, Lucy A Robertson
Hopf, Paul Theodore
Hopkins, Eugene E
Horstman, Horace G
Hottowe, Joseph
Howard, Oscar Marlow
Howard, Oscar Michael
Howeattle, Mary M
Hudson, George
Hudson, William
Huelsdonk, Dora Carolina Wolff
Huelsdonk, Henry
Huelsdonk, John
Hume, David Marshall
Hunter, Katie Harmon
Hutchinson, Marie

Return to Home Page --- Return to Obituary Directory

Adam Habergarten ( d 22 Oct 1893 )

After a brief illness of only a week's duration, Adam Habergarten passed away last Sunday, the victim of that terrible malady, typhoid-pneumonia.

Adam Habergarten was well and favorably known in the community, having lived here a number of years.

The career of the deceased has been somewhat eventful. A native of Germany, he came to this county years ago, establishing a residence in Minnesota which extended over a long period. Of an industrious, earnest turn of mind he soon accumulated a snug little fortune, when the restless spirit of adventure and travel overcame him, stimulated doubtless by the glowing accounts of golden opportunities and of fortunes easily made in the great west. Yielding to the craving desire to cast his lot with the people of the Pacific Coast, he emigrated to California, where he experienced a tempestuous career, resulting in the loss of his accumulation of years. Discouraged with his ill-fortune he removed to Washington to strive and regain what he had lost in what appeared to be amore promising field, locating in Port Angeles where he has resided ever since.

Deceased has a most enviable war record, having served with honor and distinction during 2 Indian campaigns under command of Gen. Miles. He participated in the fight in which Gen. Custer was fatally wounded, and for his courageous, manly conduct received a most flattering discharge from his old commander, Gen. Miles.

Although but 36 years of age, he had experienced the vicissitudes, the sorrows, and the fleeting pleasures of a much longer career. Of an extremely sensitive nature, he keenly felt and unnecessarily grieved over the disappointments of life.

Deceased leaves a wife and four children to mourn his untimely end. Peace to his ashes. The funeral took place from the family residence, Monday afternoon at 2, Father Fay officiating. The Knights of Pythias, of which order deceased was a member, attended in full regalia.

Mary Edith Hagadorn ( d Jan 25, 1931 Port Angeles Evening News issue of Jan 26, 1931 )

Clallam County lost one of its pioneers who contributed her part toward the early development of the West End when Mrs. Mary Edith Hagadorn, 64, passed away at Forks Sunday.

In 1884, Mrs. Hagadorn, with her husband, the late John Hagadorn, settled on Quillayute Prairie. The couple reached that spot by rounding Cape Flattery and following the Quillayute River from its mouth as there were no trails or roads in that day.

Long years were spent on the Prairie maintaining a home and eking a living. During those years, the Hagadorns were most friendly with their Indian neighbors and were quite favorably known to the early settlers of the territory.

The husband, John Hagadorn, held the distinction of being the first and only man to represent the West End in the state legislature. In the People's Party rise to power in 1897, he was elected from Quillayute and served one term as Representative.

John Hagadorn died in 1899 while on a visit to Wisconsin, leaving Mrs. Hagadorn a widow with a family. Three son, Fred of Quillayute; Harry of Forks; and John Aberdeen, survive the mother. There are also 5 grandchildren.

The late Mrs. Hagadorn was born in Grant County, Wisconsin, in 1862 and was married to John Hagadorn in the same state.

Funeral services will be held at 2pm Tuesday in the Quillayute Church with Rev. C. HIcks officiating. Burial will be in the Quillayute Cemetery.

The Dewey Lyden company, funeral directors, will have charge of the services.

Robert Haggerty ( d 3-10-1929  Port Angeles Evening News issue of Mar 11, 1929 )

Robert Haggerty, 69, will known pioneer of this county, passed away at his home at Sequim Sunday at 3pm after a lengthy illness.

Mr. Haggerty came to Clallam County 39 years ago and first settled at Twin where he was engaged in logging. He held the contract to build the first road to Lake Sutherland. Twenty-two years ago he moved to Sequim where he had since made his home. He was among the best known and liked of the pioneer residents of the county.

Mr. Haggerty was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, Apr 21, 1860 and had been a logger in Michigan before coming here.

Surviving Mr. Haggerty are his widow Mrs. Anna Haggerty, and 4 children and 3 step-children. The children are: Edward, Francis, Ethel and Elleine, all of Sequim. The step-children are: Elmer Brierly, Sequim; Chester Brierly of Rocky Mountain Home, Albert, Canada, and Mrs. Mabel Burns, Hussan, Alberta.

Mr. Haggerty was a member of the Naval Lodge of Elks and the Knights of Pythias lodge of this city. Funeral services will be held under the auspices of Naval Lodge of Elks with William B. Ritchie delivering the eulogy, Wednesday afternoon at 2 from the chapel of Dewey Lyden company, funeral directors. Members of the Knights of Pythias lodge will act as pall bearers. Interment will be in Ocean View Cemetery.

Louis Hahn ( Port Angeles Evening News Issue of 19 Jul 1926 )

Word was received here today of the death of Louis Hahn, Proprietor of the Merchants Hotel of this city at the age of 65.  He passed away in a hospital in Cle Elum this morning at eight o'clock.

Mr. Hahn left last week for east of the mountains, where he thought the warmer climate would be a benefit to him. Arriving in Yakima he found the altitude too high and the weather too severe.  He left the same day for Cle Elum.  His condition became worse and he went to a hospital for care.

Word was received here late on Saturday afternoon of fast failing condition.  Three sons ---August, Charles and George --- left early on Sunday morning and were at his bedside when he passed away early this morning.

The deceased leaves to mourn his loss three daughters --- Mrs. Christine O'Connor, of Aberdeen; Mrs. Lillian Nordstrom, of Tacoma; and a daughter in Canada; four sons --- Jake of Forks; George Hahn, Port Angels; Charles Hahn, Sequim; and August Hahn, Aberdeen.

Mr. Hahn has lived in Clallam County for the past forty years, and was one of those men who had implicit faith that oil would be found in the region of Forks.

Walter Robert Haller ( d 2-6-1953 )

Walter Robert Haller, 53, member of a prominent pioneer Clallam County family, died at Sequim Friday after an illness of several months. Funeral services will be Tuesday at 2:30pm at the Sequim Trinity Methodist Church with the Rev. W G D Dann officiating. Masonic rites will be conducted by Sequim Lodge 313, F&AM and the American Legion Post will furnish pallbearers. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Cemetery under the direction of the McDonald Funeral Home. Mr. Haller will lie in state from 10am to noon Tuesday at Sequim Mortuary.

Mr. Haller was born June 12, 1899 in Port Angeles. He lived in this city until entering army service in 1917. After his discharge in 1919 he lived in Grays Harbor County until 1926 when he married and moved back to Clallam County. He had lived her since then.

He married Helen Stroup in Port Townsend March 19, 1926. The couple lived near Sequim for 26 years but a year and a half ago occupied their new home at 1st and Maple Streets, Sequim, where Mr. Haller died.

He was a logger most of his life and was employed in and operated logging camps in various parts of the Olympic Peninsula.

Mr. Haller was 1953 master of Sequim Masonic Lodge, member of Jack Grennan Post #62, American Legion, and past patron of the Sequim Eastern Star Lodge.

Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Helen Haller, and daughter Mrs. Frank Irick, both of Sequim; 6 brothers, Henry and Albert Haller, both of Sequim; Max Haller, Bucoda, WA; William Haller, Port Gamble; and Frank Haller, Port Angeles; 5 sisters, Mrs. Caroline Miller, Sequim; Mrs. Emma Hopson and Mrs. Josephine Westlake, both of Seattle; Mrs. Anna Becker, Montesano; and Mrs. Louis Anderson, Manila, P.I.

Frank L. Hall ( d Jan 28, 1927  Port Angeles Evening News issue of Jan 31, 1927 )

Frank L. Hall, a pioneer printer and electrician of Port Angeles, was killed in an automobile accident at Oakland, California last Friday according to information received here by his sister, Mrs. Eudora Mason.

Frank L. Hall was born near Petaluma, California Jul 2, 1865. He came to Seattle the fall of that same year and arrived in Port Angeles in 1889. He was one of the best known men of the city working at first at the printer's trade and afterwards having charge of the municipal light plant here.

Mr. Hall was married to Rosa M. Fend in this city in 1891 and in 1899 the family left here. They had lived in Berkeley, California for 3 years where he has been in the real estate business and has been very prosperous.

Mr. and Mrs. Hall visited here last summer with friends and relatives.

There are 5 children, a wife and 2 sisters, Llewella Hall Kitchell of Cleveland and Eudora Mason of this city, surviving.

Ida Hall ( d Jan 18, 1951  Port Angeles Evening News issue of Jan 20, 1951 )

Mrs. Ida Hall, 76, the first child born at the settlement of Jamestown after its purchase by the Indians in 1874, died Thursday morning in a Port Angeles hospital after a short illness.

Funeral services will be in the Presbyterian Church at Sequim under the direction of the Sequim Mortuary Tuesday at 2pm. The Rev. Edwin Q Hurd will officiate. Burial will be in Jamestown Cemetery.

Mrs. Hall was the daughter of Lord Jim Balch, a tribal chief after whom Jamestown was named. She resided her entire life in Jamestown. At 16 she married William Hall, minister for the Shake religion at Jamestown for over 50 years and had been active in church affairs throughout her life.

Surviving relatives include her husband, Rev. William Hall at Jamestown; 2 sons, Wallace, Port Angeles; and Lowell, Tacoma; one daughter, Mrs. Hazel Sampson of Port Angeles; 14 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.

Jacob Hall ( d June 22, 1964 )

Jacob Hall, 78, of Jamestown, died there after a short illness Monday. Funeral services will be held at the Sequim Presbyterian Church Saturday at 2pm with the Rev. Floyd Torrence officiating. Burial will be in Jamestown Cemetery,

He was the last original member of the Indian Shaker Church of Jamestown, and was called "Chief Whitefeather" by his many friends.

He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Hall, born at Discovery Bay, May 5, 1886.

He attended schools in Jamestown and completed the 7th grade there. He then attended Cushman Indian School at Tacoma. After schooling, he returned to Jamestown to take up the work of his father as a crab fisherman.

He married Flora Sicade on June 1, 1921, at Jamestown where they lived their entire lives. Mrs. Hall passed away at Sequim in 1927.

He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Harvey Adams of Jamestown, 12 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild in Jamestown.

Rosa Magdalene Fend Hall ( d 28 Feb 1952 )

Rosa Magdalene Fend Hall, 80, member of a pioneer Port Angeles family, died in Seattle Thursday. Funeral services are not yet set.

Mrs. Hall died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Edgar L Gale, 412 Queen Ann Ave., while visiting from her home in Oakland, CA where she had lived since 1920. Her son-in-law is the son of the late Hiram Gale, Seattle's last GAR member.

Born in Fremont, OH, Mrs. Hall came to Port Angeles with her parents in 1887. They were members of the Puget Sound Cooperative Colony. She married the late Frank L. Hall here in 1890. They moved to Seattle soon afterwards, where Hall, a printer, published the Seattle Daily Call. A hand compositor, he worked on early day newspapers here.

Mrs. Hall's parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. George Fend were parents of 12 children, 10 girls and 2 boys. The family moved to Seattle many years ago, where Mr. and Mrs. Fend died.

Her husband was a Seattle pioneer, his parents Judge and Mrs. Isaac M. Hall, having arrived in that city in 1865. The elder Mrs. Hall later came here and was prominent in affairs of the Colony.

In addition to Mrs. Gale, Mrs. Hall is survived by 2 other daughters, Mrs. Sylvia Garber, Oakland, CA, and Mrs. Madeline Baudonnet, Davis, CA; a son, George Hall, Oakland; 5 sisters, Mrs. Margaret Walters, Mrs. Henrietta Meagher, Mrs. Cecelia Stream, all of Seattle; Mrs. Marcella Mitchell, Puyallup, and Mrs. Frances Webster, of Hawthorne, CA; a brother Theodore Fend, Seattle; 6 grandchildren; and 3 great-grandchildren.

Anna K. Hamilton ( d 4-9-1942 )

Anna K. Hamilton, a resident of Clallam County for 53 years, passed away Wednesday evening at the age of 82 years. Her home was at Sequim.

Born in Maine, June 11, 1858, she came to Clallam County in 1889 and had resided in Port Angeles and Sequim ever since. She was a charter member of Mountain View Rebekah Lodge in Port Angeles and a life member of the Rebekah Lodge chapter in Sequim. Mrs. Hamilton was also active in the Methodist Church.

She leaves 2 daughter, Mrs. Grant Ward of Sequim and Mrs. J. M. Ward of Carlsborg; 5 sons, George and Carl of Sequim, Lawrence of Grants Pass, Oregon; Ray and G H Hamilton of Portland; 12 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren. Her husband William E Hamilton passed away in 1922.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at 4pm in the Christman Mortuary. The Rev. M J Perdue will officiate and cremation will follow.

William Edward Hamilton ( Sequim Weekly Newspaper, 31 Mar 1922; d 25 Mar 1922 )

While W. E. Hamilton was waiting to board the local Milwaukee last Saturday morning, he was struck and received injuries which caused his death 2 hours later at the Sequim hospital.

Mr. Hamilton was driven to the station in the William Wright, Jr. car where he and Mr. Wright were to have taken the train for Seattle as delegates from the Sequim lodge to the Odd Fellows convention. He had crossed the track and in coming back probably became confused when he found the train was nearer than he supposed, and was struck. He was badly bruised about the head and shoulders.

Mr. Hamilton is one of the oldest residents of Clallam County, moving to Port Angeles in 1889. He has been a resident of Sequim for 25 years. William Edward Hamilton was born in Maine in the year 1851, He was married to Anna LeBard in 1876. The family moved from Maine to California in 1881, moving from that state to Washington in 1889.

Mr. Hamilton is survived by his wife, six sons and three daughters: H E of Portland, OR; Maud Ward, of Carlsborg, George, Carl, Chester, Ray, Della Ward, Laurence and Gladys Craig, of Sequim.

Funeral services were conducted at the M E Church in Sequim, Rev. E J. Bates reading the services. Interment was in Sequim View Cemetery, Tuesday. [NOTE: added to clipping is handwritten notation: "no marker at Sequim View. One at Dungeness for W E Hamilton, 1851-1922]

Cassie Tripp Hansen ( 1969 )

Mrs. Cassie Hansen, 67, wife of George Hansen, Rt. 1, Sequim, died Saturday after a lengthy illness. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 1pm at Sequim Methodist Church with the Rev. Robert Ward officiating. Burial will be in Dungeness Cemetery under the direction of the McDonald Funeral Home.

She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Tripp, born at Dungeness Oct 29, 1893. She married George Hansen in Port Angeles April 29, 1916. Mrs. Hansen lived in the east end of Clallam County all her life. She was a member of the Women's Improvement Club of Dungeness.

Surviving relatives include her husband, George Hansen, Sequim; a daughter, Mrs. Richard Wilkie, Seattle; 2 sons, Delbert Hansen, Port Angeles and Joe Turton, Sequim; a brother, Steve Tripp, Sequim; 4 sisters, Mrs. Florence McDonnell and Mrs. Lois Sweeney, both of Seattle, Mrs. John Bishop, Shelton, and Mrs. Fred Regal, Kennewick; and 10 grandchildren.

Emma Elizabeth Hansen ( Port Angeles Evening News issue of 27 Nov 1925 )

Mrs. Emma Elizabeth Hansen, 60, pioneer of Clallam County, passed away in this city yesterday after an illness of 7 months.

Mrs. Hansen, who was Emma Elizabeth Lotzgesell, was born on the Lotzgesell homestead at Dungeness on May 9, 1865, daughter of one of the pioneer Dungeness families and lived in the Dungeness Valley all of her life.

Mrs. Hansen was married to Captain Harry Hansen on July 27, 1889.  Capt. Hansen died 21 years ago.

She is survived by 3 children, Henry Hansen of Ontario, California, George William Hansen of Dungeness, and Mrs. Frank Henderson of Port Angeles.

Brothers and sisters surviving are:  Mrs. Catherine Roberts of Port Angeles, Mrs. Anna Pilcher of Seattle, Washington, Lily Alexander of Potlach, Washington, Mrs. Henrietta Sydell of Seattle, George Lotzgesell of Port Angeles and Frank Lotzgesell of Dungeness.  Mrs. Hansen has 4 surviving grandchildren.

Funeral services are to be held at 10:30 Saturday morning at the Lyden & Freeman funeral parlors in this city with Rev Erle Howell of the Methodist Church reading the services.  Interment will be in the family plot at the Dungeness Cemetery.

With the passing of Mrs. Hansen, one of the best known and best loved of the pioneer women of the county has gone to her reward,  Mrs. Hansen was one of the oldest of the native daughters of Clallam County and her life time in itself was a history of this county.  She was a pioneer among pioneers with all the sterling qualities of those people who tamed a wilderness to make homes and her death will be mourned by scores of people who knew and loved her.

Marjory Fowler Burgess Hansen ( d 1 Oct 1948 )

Marjory Burgess Hansen, 74, of Tacoma, Pioneer Clallam County woman, widow of the late John C. Hansen, Port Angeles banker, died last Friday. Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 at the McDonald Funeral Home, Rev. Carl Fisher officiating. Burial will be in the Ocean View Cemetery.

Marjory Fowler was born in Govan, Scotland, Dec 30, 1873 and came from Scotland to Chicago when 7 years old, to Blyn, Clallam County in 1889. She taught school in Happy Valley previous to her marriage to John C. Hansen here in 1897.

Mrs. Hansen and family lived in Port Angeles until 1934 when they moved to Seattle and later to Tacoma. Mr. Hansen died in 1939.

Mrs. Hansen was prominent in many clubs and civic activities here. She was a member of the Esther Chapter #19, Order of the Eastern Star, Chapter BZ of the Peo, Port Angeles Reading club, PTA, Congregational Church and TB League. In the latter organization she was a pioneer member and active worker.

Surviving relatives include a daughter, Mrs. Inga Mulledy, Port Angeles, and sons Herman Hansen, Anacortes, and Wallace Hansen, Tacoma; sisters Mrs. Catherine Fish, PA and Mrs. Mary Kirner, Sequim; Brothers John Fowler, Constantine, Michigan and Alexander Fowler, Nenana, Alaska, one grandchild, Thomas Mulledy, Port Angeles.

Clark Alfred Hanson ( d Oct 6, 1931 Port Angeles Evening News issue of Oct 7, 1931 )

Clark Alfred Hanson, 70, for 40 years a resident of Clallam Bay district, died suddenly at Neah Bay about noon yesterday from a heart attack. Mr. Hanson had driven his car to Neah Bay with a friend. As he stepped out of the machine, he complained of feeling dizzy and staggered. His friend caught hold of him to steady him and he died in his arms.

Born in Bangor, Maine, August 12, 1861, the late Mr. Hanson came west to California in 1881 and later came to Port Townsend where he lived for 5 years or until moving to Clallam County in 1891 and settled on a homestead on the Hoko River, where he has lived ever since.

Surviving relatives are the widow, Elizabeth Hanson, and 4 children. The children are: Mrs. Eva Gagnon, Sekiu; Mrs. Ethro Elvrum, Clallam Bay; Irene Hanson and Phillip Hanson, of the Hoko River.

Funeral services are to be held at the chapel of the Dewey Lyden company, funeral directors, Friday, Oct 9 at 2pm. Rev. Erle Howell will be in charge and burial will be in Ocean View Cemetery.

The late Mr. Hanson was among the best known pioneer residents in the West End of the county. In the 40 years that he lived on his Hoko River farm he made many staunch friends who regret the passing of the sturdy pioneer.

Elizabeth Colby Hanson ( d 25 Oct 1964 )

Elizabeth Hanson, 86, of Neah Bay, died Sunday in Forks following a short illness. Funeral services will be 2pm Thursday at the Harper Funeral Home with burial following in Ocean View Cemetery.

Mrs. Hanson was born Feb 12, 1878 on the Hoko River to Mr. and Mrs. Aurelius Colby. She attended Neah Bay and Indian School at Salem, OR.

Following school she married Clark Hanson and the couple lived on his homestead at the mouth of the Hoko River. He died in 1931.

Mrs. Hanson lived on the homestead until 1952 when she moved to Neah Bay.

Survivors include a son, Philip Hanson of Neah Bay and 2 daughters, Mrs. Irene Soeneke of Hoopa, CA and Mrs. Esther Elvrum of Neah Bay; a brother, Mack Colby of Neah Bay, 11 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren .

Phillip C. Hanson ( d July 22, 1991 Peninsula Daily News issue of Jul 24, 1991 )

Graveside services for Phillip C. Hanson, 73, of Sekiu, will be at 1pm Thursday at the Neah Bay Cemetery with the Pastor Al Brown officiating. Mr. Hanson died Monday, July 22, 1991 in Port Angeles.

He was born Jan 26, 1918, in Sekiu to Clark and Elizabeth Hanson. He attended school in Sekiu and lived most of his life in the Sekiu area working as a logger and rancher. He was a member of the Makah Tribal Nation.

Survivors include sons Leland Hanson of Sedro Woolley, William Hanson of Neah Bay and Mike Hanson of Sekiu; daughters Marlene Bell of Rochester and Marsh Reno of Sekiu; and sisters Esther Elvrum and Irene Soeneke, both of Neah Bay. His wife, Marie, died in 1989.

Harper-Ridgeview Funeral Chapel is in charge.

Ernest Harding ( d 4 May, 1960 )

Ernest Harding, 69, retired Port Angeles assistant fire chief and resident here 57 years, died Wednesday afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. Harding were in a boat fishing for trout near their summer home at Lake Crescent when he succumbed to a heart attack. He had just landed a 7lb Beardslee trout when he had the seizure. Mrs. Harding and Olympic Park Rangers administered first aid that failed to save his life.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at 11am at the McDonald Funeral Home with the Rev, Mackenzie Murray officiating. Cremation will follow.

Mr. Harding was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles W Harding, born at Edinburg, MO, July 29, 1890. The family moved to Oklahoma when he was young and came to Port Angeles in 1903.

He was a veteran of W.W.I. He retired in 1950 when he was assistant chief of the Port Angeles Fire Department. He was a fireman 22 years. During the following 6 years he was an Olympic National Park lookout at Deer Park.

Hunting and fishing were his recreation and the family spent much of their time at their summer home near East Beach on the north East side of Lake Crescent.

He was a member of Port Angeles Masonic Lodge #69, Naval Lodge of Elks, American Legion, Presbyterian Church, Clallam County Historical Society and Peninsula Firemen's Association.

Mr. Harding married Hattie A Fleming here June 10, 1912. The family home was at 702 So C St.

Surviving relatives include his wife, Mrs. Hattie A. Harding; a daughter, Mrs. Joseph Wolfe and 2 grandchildren Brian and Anna Wolfe, and a sister, Mrs. Daisy Fleming, all of Port Angeles, and many nieces and nephews.

Adelaide Pominville Harlow ( d Nov 9, 1935 Port Angeles Evening News issue of Nov 9, 1935 )

Mrs. Adelaide Harlow, 94, Port Angeles pioneer, 219 W 8th St., this city, died at 12:30 this am after a short illness. Funeral services will be held next Tuesday, Nov 12, at 2pm at the Christman Mortuary. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Cemetery.

Born at Grandville, Quebec, Canada, Jul 17, 1841, the late Mrs. Harlow moved to Minnesota 58 years ago and 47 years ago came to Clallam County to a homestead on Morse Creek. A year or two later the family took up the city homestead at 219 W 8th St. where Mrs. Harlow has lived ever since.

The late Mrs. Harlow was the mother of 13 children, four of them surviving her. The children are William John Harlow, Tacoma; Dr. Alfred Harlow, Rialto, California; Rev. George Harlow, Tacoma; and J C Harlow Port Angeles. There are 2 brothers, Celestine Pominville, Buckingham, Canada and Octave Pominville of Paltmore, Canada. Surviving are 23 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Harlow was very well known to old time residents of Clallam County. Her home on 8th St. is one of the landmarks of the district and one of the first houses built on upper Cherry Hill.

J. C Harlow

J. C Harlow, 77, of Rt. 2, Port Angeles, a Clallam County resident 72 years, died Saturday after an extended illness. Funeral services will be held at the Harper Funeral Home Wednesday at 1pm with the Rev. DeWitt Osgood officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Cemetery.

Mr. Harlow was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Harlow, born in Brainard, MN May 10, 1882. He came to Port Angeles with his family in 1888. The family homesteaded on the government reservation. The family built a home on 8th St. between Oak and Cherry Sts.

He attended Port Angeles schools and after reaching adulthood moved to a homestead in the Mount Pleasant district on the banks of Morse Creek. Here he farmed and resided until his death.

Mr. Harlow married Viola A Ballenger here Aug 21, 1911. From 1912 to 1923 Mr. Harlow was the minister of the Port Angeles Seventh Day Adventist Church. He was a charter member and past master of the Angeles Grange and member of Pleasant Mountain Grange.

Surviving relatives include his wife, Mrs. Viola Harlow and 2 daughters, Mrs. Wesley Garling and Mrs. Russell May, all of Port Angeles; 2 brothers, William Harlow, Tacoma anddchildren, Mrs. Harold Isenberger and Robert Garling, both of Port Angeles.

Mary Howard Harper ( d Jan 13, 1990 )

Funeral service for Mary H. Harper, 80, will be at 1pm Tuesday at Harper-Ridgeview Funeral Chapel with the Rev. Gordon Higgins officiating. Mrs. Harper died Saturday, Jan 13, 1990 in Port Angeles.

Mrs. Harper was born Dec 16, 1909 in Washington to Oscar and Mamie Marlow Howard. She married Irwin C. Harper Nov 8, 1942, in Seattle. She was a school teacher in Napavine. She later worked as a secretary with the Boeing Co. in Seattle. She served with the USMC during WWII. The Harpers retired to Port Angeles.

She was registrar of the Michael Trebert Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Survivors include her husband of Port Angeles; one brother, Clare Howard of Port Angeles; and 2 sisters, Margaret Howard of Port Angeles and Ferne Elliott of Seattle. She was preceded in death by 3 sisters and 3 brothers.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Harper-Ridgeview Funeral Chapel.

Percy Lovel Harrington (d 14 Sep 1976 )

Graveside services for Perry Lovel Harrington, 86, 527 Thistle Rd, are scheduled for 1pm Thursday at Mt. Angeles Memorial Park. Officers of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1024 and W.W.I Barracks 2294 will officiate. Mr. Harrington died Sunday in Port Angeles.

He was born Oct 11, 1889 in Hayward, WI to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Harrington. He moved to this area with his family in 1893 and attended schools here. He was employed by Crown Zellerbach a number of years and worked as a carpenter in construction for the last 16 years before retirement. A veteran of W.W.I, he served in the US Army Spruce Division.

Mr. Harrington is survived by a stepson, Claude Durham, Westport, 2 daughters, Berdine Gliden of Port Angeles and Dorothy Evans of Hoodsport; a stepdaughter Jean Gayda of Eatonville; 2 grandchildren; 2 great-grandchildren ; and 4 sisters, Ada Rooney, Rosie Hunt and Nina Newell, all of Port Angeles, and Lillie Opseth of Centralia.

Thomas Sherman Harrington

Thomas Sherman Harrington, 74, a pioneer homesteader of the Mount Pleasant district near Port Angeles passed away Tuesday evening after a long illness. Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 3 from the McDonald Funeral Home, the Rev. H R Cederberg officiating. Cremation will follow.

Mr. Harrington was born Nov 10, 1865 in Menominie, WI. He came to Port Angeles in 1891 and took up a homestead in the Mount Pleasant district, where he resided up to the time of his death. He was married to Miss Rose Ellis in WI, Jul 4, 1882. She passed away 3 years ago.

Surviving relatives include 8 daughters, Mrs. A G Berthoud of Phillsberg, MT; Mrs. Mildred Cameron, Port Ludlow; Mrs. H G Schmaing, Longview; Mrs. Lillie Miller, Kelso, and Mrs. Joe Hagen, Mrs. Ada Rooney and Mrs. C J Hunt, and Mrs. Lloyd Newell of Port Angeles. There are 4 sons, Perry Harrington of Port Angeles, Jim of Olympia, Phil of Port Gamble and Robert of Phillsberg, MT. 36 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren and 4 great-great-grandchildren also survive.

Olive Harris ( d June 17, 1970 )

Funeral services for Mrs. Olive Harris, 87, will be held at Ridgeview Chapel Friday, June 19, at 1pm. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Memorial Park. Canon Walter McNeil, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church will officiate with Order of Eastern Star #19 Esther Chapter officiating at graveside.

Mrs. Harris died Tuesday in Port Angeles. Her husband, Alex, survives at 515 S. Laurel St. He was born Dec 20, 1882 in Brookfield, MO.

She attended the old central school, Sisters of St. Francis in Oregon and Providence Academy in Olympia. She married Feb 25, 1904 in Port Angeles. She has lived most of her life in Port Angeles and the couple celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1954.

Mrs. Harris was Worthy Matron of Esther Chapter, #19 OES in 1927-28 and received a 50 year membership in 1959. She was a member of Hatasu Temple #1 of Daughters of the Nile, Seattle; past president of Tirzah Club #5, of Nile; a member of the Historical Society and was one of the organizers of the local past matrons club.

Other survivors include a granddaughter, Mrs. W. K. Exelby of Seattle; and 2 great-grandchildren.

Eliza R Wilson Hart ( d 29 Jul 1916 )

Mrs. Fitch J. Hart, one of the earliest pioneers of Clallam County, passed away at the old family residence on the corner of 5th and Oak Sts., Saturday evening at 9:30. Funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 from the Fulmer chapel.

Mrs. Hart's maiden name was Eliza R. Wilson, and she was born in Lisken Co., Ohio, Nov 24, 1842. She was married to Fitch J. Hart at Westerville, Ohio April 12, 1864, and they lived happily together for over 52 years, celebrating their golden wedding two and a half years ago at their own home in Georgetown Station, Seattle.

They lived in Ohio and Michigan after their marriage until 1876, when they came west, landing in Port Townsend and locating a home near Discovery Bay. Here they lived for 2 years and then took up a homestead at Port Crescent in 1878, where they lived until 14 years ago, when they built a home at Georgetown. Here they lived most of the time in the winter, but the summer always brought them back to their old Port Angeles home and their children.

Mrs. Hart suffered a stroke of paralysis about ten years ago and has practically been a helpless invalid for the past 5 years, as the stroke that caused he deaths was the fifth she has had. She was visiting her son, Homer Hart, on his farm near Dungeness when she was taken ill last week and they brought her to Angeles Friday to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Tom Bayton, as this was her old home, built 25 years ago, when they were living at Port Crescent, so that the children might attend school in town.

At the time this home was built, it was one of the most pretentious in town and was built right out in the forest; the first house up on the hill. It has been occupied all these years by members of the family and was given to the youngest daughter, Mrs. Tom Bayton, when she was married, and it has been her home ever since; her parents enjoying a part of each year there with her.

Mrs. Hart's greatest pleasure the past few years has been their automobile, which her indulgent husband bought and learned to drive just for her, that they might go and come at their own convenience and pleasure. Mrs. Hart was converted and joined the Methodist Church in Angeles over 25 years ago, and was always a good Christian woman, held in high esteem by all who knew her. She could tell many things of interest of her early pioneer life and the hardships they all had to endure. She lived a year and a half in Port Crescent before she saw a white woman. The first woman she saw was Mrs. Sophie Johnson, who came in today to attend the funeral of her old friend. Mrs. Hart was one of the first school teachers at Port Crescent, her own children going to school to her as well as a few of the neighbors.

She was the mother of 10 children, three of whom died in infancy. The other seven were all present today at the funeral, the 5 sons, with one grandson, Ned H Hart, acting as the pall bearers, tenderly and sadly laying their mother away to he last long sleep. The funeral was largely attended by the many old friends who came to pay their last respects to the deceased. A very comforting and appropriate talk was given by Rev. Fulmer and a vocal solo sweetly sung by Mrs. Alfred Jensen. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful. Burial was in Ocean View Cemetery.

Deceased is survived by her husband, 7 children, 27 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren . The names of the children are: John M. Hart, Port Gamble; Altie M. Adie, Auburn; Otto B. Hart, Lake Stevens; Homer J., Dungeness; Howard J and Fitch J. of Port Angeles; and Mrs. Edith Bayton, of Port Angeles.

Fitch James Hart ( d 16 Feb 1951 )

Fitch James Hart, 68, 1317 South Cherry St., native born son of Clallam County, and member of a prominent pioneer family, died here Friday noon after a long illness.

Funeral services will be at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Tuesday with Rev. Carl Fischer officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Cemetery under the direction of the Harper Funeral Home.

Mr. Hart was born at Port Crescent Oct 6, 1882 at the pioneer home of his parents. He attended county schools and Old Central School in Port Angeles. As a young man he was a Western Union telegraph operator at Pysht; Discovery Bay and Port Gamble. He later was employed at the Charles Nelson mill here for 14 years.

Mr. Hart became crane operator at the Port Angeles terminal when the dock was constructed and remained at that position almost a quarter of a century until becoming ill 2 years ago.

He was married to Josie Blater, also a member of a pioneer Clallam County family, in Seattle, Oct 27, 1909.

Mr. Hart was a vestryman at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church more than 25 years.

Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Josie Hart, daughters, Mrs. Fred Larson and Mrs. James Chernut; sons Vernon and Harold Hart, all of Port Angeles; and another son, Edwin Hart, Chicago; 2 brothers, Homer Hart, Isaquah and Howard Hart, Freshwater and a sister, Mrs. Thomas Bayton, Port Angeles and 10 grandchildren.

Florence Aimes Hassell ( no date )

Mrs. Florence Aimes Hassell, 79, died Monday following an illness of about one year. Rev. Thomas Hostetler will officiate at funeral services to be held Wednesday, 1p, at Harper Funeral Home. Esther Chapter #19, OES, will also preside. Interment will follow in Mt. Angeles Cemetery.

Mrs. Hassell was born July 28, 1886, in Conway, MA. She attended grade and high school and college in Elgin, IL. Following graduation she married Arthur G. Hassell, Dec 22, 1919 in Elgin.

The couple moved to Port Angeles in 1914. Mr. Hassell died in 1957.

Mrs. Hassell had been a resident of this area for 51 years, and a member of Esther Chapter #19, OES, for 50 years. She was also a member of Juan Du Fuca Court #59, Order of Amaranth; VFW Auxiliary Post #1024; Daughters of the American Revolution, Port Angeles Eagles Auxiliary and Women of the Moose #3. She enjoyed needlework, painting and ceramic work.

Mrs. Hassell is survived by 5 sons, Arthur, Charles and Everett Hassell, all of Port Angeles; Don Hassell of Stayton, OR, and Joe Hassell of Ketchikan, AK; 5 daughters; Mmes, Ellis Bundy, William A, Swanson and Jack McEwan, all of Port Angeles; Harry Martin of Marblemount, WA and Clifton Isom of San Leandro, CA; 27 grandchildren; and 4 great-grandchildren.

Charles T. Haswell ( 24 Feb 1952 )

Charles T. Haswell, 82, pioneer Port Angeles resident, died in Seattle last Sunday and was buried there Tuesday. He left here almost 25 years ago. He was employed in the banking business here for more than a quarter of a century. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Anna M. Haswell in Seattle; 2 brothers in Ohio, and a nephew, Donald H. Lutz of Port Angeles; and several other nephews and nieces in Ohio and California.

Edward H. Hatch ( d July 7, 1942 )

Many old time residents of this city will remember Edward H. Hatch, 73, prominent Seattle man who died at that city Monday, as he was a pioneer of Port Angeles, coming here from his home at West Farmington, Ohio in 1891 to join his brother, the late Judge George Hatch.

Ed Hatch taught school in the county and was elected to the office of county superintendent of schools. He homesteaded in the Little River district next to the claim taken up by his brother that is now known as the Coleman ranch. The Ed hatch homestead is that area directly adjoined the Coleman ranch on the southeast.

Joining a group of young adventurers of this city, Ed Hatch followed the Yukon gold rush in 1897 and was a Yukon River pilot and operated a store at Skagway until 1901 when he came south and opened a clothing store at Bellingham. He became a prominent industrialist at Everett and in 1917 moved to Seattle where he managed a manufacturing concern until his retirement in 1931.

Hatch was a counselor for the US Chamber of Commerce, at one time president of the Seattle Chamber of Commerce and vice president and manager of the Arctic Club at his death.

Surviving are the widow and 2 sons, George of Chicago and Robert of Camp Hahn, California.

Mary Elizabeth Rea Haynes ( Port Angeles Evening News issue of 21 Apr 1930 )

Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Haynes, 81, pioneer of Port Angeles, passed away at 11:50pm Sunday at the home of her son, Ray L Haynes, secretary of Naval Lodge of Elks, after a lingering illness.

Mary Elizabeth Rea was born on Jan 26, 1849 at Mt. Carroll, IL and was married to Lorenzo Thomas Haynes on Jan 16, 1868 at Mt. Carroll.

Mr. and Mrs. Haynes moved to Greeley, CO in 1871 with the Horace Greeley colonists, residing there until 1887 when they came to Port Angeles as members of the Puget Sound Cooperative Colony, taking up their first residence at First and Race Sts.

In 1892 the Haynes family moved to Front and Peabody , where Mrs. Haynes resided until one year ago when she moved to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ray L Haynes.  Mr. Haynes passed away in Dec 1924.

She is survived by 2 daughters--Mrs. Madge Nailor, city treasurer of Port Angeles and Grace N McLaughlin of Port Angeles; son Ray L Haynes, secretary of Naval Lodge 353 BPOE; sister, Bertha Rea Couzens of Greeley, CO; granddaughters , Edith Velma Parmetor and Glenna Haynes of Tacoma, Mrs. Aila Howser and Miss Nona Haynes, Mrs. S S Mullen, Archie and Ernie Nailor, and Laurel McLaughlin, Port Angeles; grandson, Guy B McLaughlin of Laurel, OR.  She also leaves 5 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services for the late Mrs. Haynes will be held at the chapel of the Dewey Lyden Company, funeral directors at 8pm tonight.  The remains will be shipped to Seattle for cremation.

Harry Leroy Heath ( Sequim Press; d 7 Jan 1949 )

Funeral services were held at 2pm Sunday at Sequim Trinity Methodist Church for Harry Leroy Heath, 81, who died last Wednesday night at his farm home in the Carlsborg area. Rev. R Clinton McGaffee officiated and burial was in the Dungeness Cemetery under the direction of the Sequim Mortuary.

Mr. Heath, a resident of Clallam County for 53 years, was born in Dundee, MI, Jul 7, 1867. He moved to Elma, WA in 1888 and Olive Robinson married him there May 7, 1891. The couple celebrated their golden wedding at Sequim may 7, 1941. The Heaths came to Clallam County four years after their marriage and lived here ever since. He was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodged in Sequim.

Surviving relatives include the widow, Mrs. Olive Heath; 4 sons, Ernest, Clifford and Ray Heath of Sequim and Orville Heath of Port Angeles; 2 sisters, Mrs. Flora Fisher, Tacoma, and Mrs. Grace Landpher, Seattle.

Caroline Lena Megerle Heister ( 20 Apr 1965 )

Caroline Lena Heister, 86, Ahlvers Rd., died her Friday after an extended illness. Funeral services will be at 1pm Tuesday at Harper Funeral Home with the Rev. Robert Rings officiating. Burial will be in Ocean View Cemetery.

She was born Caroline Lena Megerle May 23, 1878 to Mr. and Mrs. Fred Megerle of Chicago, IL. Mrs. Heister came to Port Angeles 67 years ago where her husband died in 1938.

Surviving relatives include one daughter, Mrs. Reta Bushnell, Port Orchard; 2 sisters, Mrs. Augusta Maschke, Bremerton, and Mrs. Emma Jacobs, of Port Angeles; one grandson and 3 great-grandchildren.

Alpha Zeman Helgeson ( d June 1964 )

Alpha Zeman Helgeson, 63, of 1202 Columbia St., died Monday n Seattle. Services will be held 2pm Friday in the Harper Funeral Home with the Rev. Thomas Hostetler officiating. Interment is to be at Mt. Angeles Cemetery.

Born Sep 23, 1901, in Pysht, Mrs. Helgeson had been a resident of Clallam County most of her life. She attended grade school in Blyn and high school in Sequim. Following her graduation, she attended Bellingham Normal. (Western State College)

Mrs. Helgeson returned to Clallam County as a teacher at the Fairview Grade School.

Jan 1, 1934, she and Kermit Helgeson were married in Port Angeles. Mr. Helgeson survives in Port Angeles.

Following two and a half years in Florida, she returned to Port Angeles. A member of the Olympic Dahlia Society, Mrs. Helgeson loved gardening and won many prizes at Clallam County fairs. Another of her favorite hobbies was collecting antiques and she had a varied collection. She also enjoyed hunting and fishing with her husband. Mrs. Helgeson was a member of the Royal Neighbors and Merritt Social Club.

Survivors other than her husband, include 2 sons, Donald J, of Huntsville, AL and Lester A Helgeson of San Jose, California; 4 sisters, Mrs. Gertrude Baker of Dungeness, Mrs. Helen Wolfe of Port Angeles, Mrs. Pearl Severn of Blyn, and Mrs. Irene Danforth of Sequim; and 3 grandchildren.

Calvin Henderson ( 12-6-1967 )

Graveside funeral services for Calvin Henderson, 82, of Sequim, who died in Port Angeles Wednesday will be held Saturday at 1pm at Dungeness Cemetery with Rev. Jerry Smith officiating. McDonald Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.

Mr. Henderson was born and had lived and worked in the Dungeness area all his life.

John Fletcher Henson ( d 12 Jan 1982 )

Funeral services for John Fletcher Henson, 71, of North Bend, formerly of Port Angeles, will be at 2pm Saturday in the Issaquah Funeral Home, 540 Sunset Way, Issaquah. He died Tuesday at Redmond.

Mr. Henson was born Oct 23, 1910, in Treadwell, Alaska Territory, the son of Frederick Pace Henson and Estelle Violet Fletcher Henson. In 1914 his family returned to the Port Angeles area where his grandparents, the Fletchers and the Hensons, had been settlers of the Puget Sound Cooperative Colony.

He worked as a grocer in Port Angeles and during WWII was employed as a machinist at Angeles Machine Shop which he later owned and operated. He moved to Seattle in 1960 where he worked as a construction millwright and to acreage near North Bend in 1967 where he was employed as a construction superintendent for the R J McCarthy, Co. He retired to farming in the North Bend area in 1975. He was a member of Pile Drivers and Bridge Builders Local 1303 in Port Angeles and Local 2396 in Seattle.

Survivors include his wife, Martha Elizabeth, of North Bend; a son, John Henson of Montesano; two daughters, Ebeth [thus] O Ellis of San Diego, CA and Susan Henson of North Bend, and 6 grandchildren and 2 nieces.

Frederick Pace Henson ( d 4 Oct 1959 )

Frederick Pace Henson, 81, of 119 E 9th St., Port Angeles, long time public official, died Sunday after an extended illness. Funeral services will be held at McDonald Funeral Home Tuesday at 1pm with the Masonic Lodge and the Rev. John F. Como officiating. Burial will be in Ocean View Cemetery.

Mr. Henson was born March 3, 1878 in St. Louis, MO. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Henson, He came here in 1888 with his parents who were members of the Puget Sound Cooperative Colony which settled at the mouth of Ennis Creek. He attended Port Angeles public schools and took night courses in bookkeeping.

Mr. Henson went from here to Victoria in 1894 and was employed there until 1898. That year he followed his father to Alaska on the Klondike gold rush. He made a short stop in Douglas, Alaska before going over the White Pass [next appears to be a short part missing]. There he went through the famous Whitehorse Rapids on a barge and on down the river to Dawson. He spent 2 years along the Yukon River and at Nome where there was a new gold strike.

He returned to Port Angeles late in 1900 and remained here until early in 1902 when the family went to Douglas, Alaska where his father was in business. He opened a clothing store at Douglas for a time then was employed by the Treadwell Mining Company on Douglas Island, near Juneau. He was a bookkeeper and later chief steward for the company.

He married Estelle V Fletcher in Juneau in 1906. Mrs. Henson died here in 1940. For a number of years he was employed as a teller in 2 Port Angeles banks. He was a city councilman here several terms. Later when the commission form of government came in he was commissioner of finance for the city. While city commissioner he was named county auditor early in 1939 and served in that position until his retirement in January, 1951. He had served almost 13 years, the longest time on record for that position.

Mr. Henson was a member of the Masonic Lodge at Douglas, AK for 52 years. He was a member of Nile Temple, Seattle, order of the Mystic Shrine, life member of Naval Lodge of Elks, and a member of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church.

Among surviving relatives are 2 sons, Harry F Henson, Everett and John F Henson, Seattle; a brother, Jack Henson, Port Angeles; a sister, Mrs. R H Ernest, Eugene, OR; (the former Alice Henson); 4 grandchildren, 3 boys and a girl, 5 great-granddaughters and a niece.

John Frost "Jack" Henson (bu Ocean View Cemetery May 7, 1964 )

The area's beloved Jack Henson, the Wandering Scribe, is dead.

He died quietly about 1:30pm Monday at the hospital where he had been confined by illness for the past 12 weeks. He was 80.

Services will be at 3pm Thursday at the First Methodist and Congregational Church with the Episcopalian minister, the Rev. Robert F Burger, officiating. Burial will be in Ocean View Cemetery.

The body will lie in state at the McDonald Funeral Home until noon Thursday.

Better known to his thousands of readers as the Scribe or simply as John Frost Henson shortly after his birth in St. Louis, MO, Jan 5, 1884, the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Henson.

John Henson ( d May 4, 1931 Port Angeles Evening News issue of May 4, 1931 )

John Henson, Sr., 83, who came to Port Angeles in 1888, died at a hospital at 2:30am after a 10 day illness of pneumonia. His widow, Sarah Pace Henson, is also critically ill with he same aliment.

With the passing of John Henson, Sr., the northwest and Alaska lost a citizen who took a leading part in many of the stirring times that molded the civilization as it is now here.

Born at Tiverton, Devonshire, England (the Land of the Doones) 10 Jan 1848, John Henson was apprenticed to a shoemaker at the age of 10. After mastering the trade he came to Boston, MA when a young man and started business almost in the shadow of Old South Church.

It was in Boston that the marriage of John Henson and Sarah Pace was solemnized 55 years ago. In 1878 the couple moved to St. Louis, MO, where Mr. Henson owned and operated shoe stores.

In 1887 the couple joined the Puget Sound Cooperative Colony and Mr. Henson was the corresponding secretary for the St. Louis branch and in 1888 came to Port Angeles to make its experiment in social government. He "squatted" on the property that is now 119 E Front St and always retained the place.

After the colony failed, Mr. Henson went to Aberdeen where he was during the boom days of 1890. He returned here when the movement was on foot to open the government townsite for settlement and in 1891 became president of the "Squatters Association" that was instrumental in having the present townsite thrown open.

After several years residence here and in Victoria, B.C., Mr. Henson followed the Klondike Gold Rush to Alaska in 1898. He settled at Douglas, AK in the shoe business. In 1902 he became that thriving city's first city clerk and for more than 20 years was the leading citizen of the city. He served as city clerk, police magistrate , US Commissioner and postmaster at various times.

The late Mr. Henson had branched out from the shoe business and was a real estate and insurance agent with practically all the business of the town. One business block owned by him was swept away be fire and he built another that still stands on the main street of Douglas.

In 1921 he returned to Port Angeles, that city that was always called home and where the waterfront property taken up in 1888 and the homestead taken up 3 years later had never been sold or transferred. This home was the first frame residence on what was known as the reserve, 119 E. 9th St.

After a life time of busy work devoted to do what he had dreamed of all his life, growing flowers, fruits and vegetables on the old home place in the shadow of the mountains, the twilight of his life was a busy, happy one. Mentally and physically alert he got everything possible out of life. It was only 4 years ago when he was almost 80 he climbed to Heather Part, Mount Angeles, and reveled in the beauties of nature that he loved so well. He appreciated the love his children and grandchildren and always liked them near.

Raised in the Church of England, Mr. Henson was one of the organizers of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church here almost 40 years ago. He was a constant attendant and a member of the vestry. He loved the beautiful church music and ritual. He lived his religion and no one ever heard him voice an unkind thought about anyone.

Having suffered something of a breakdown a month ago, when he saw his life time companion taken to a hospital 10 days ago, suffering from pneumonia, he collapsed. Every day he asked when "mother" would be home and finally worry brought on pneumonia to him also, and he was carried to the same hospital for treatment that his wife was in. Each had been depending on the other for so many years that there never could be a parting. He had no pain and went so sleep like a child.

Surviving are the widow, critically ill; a son, Fred P Henson, assistant cashier of the Washington State Bank; daughter, Mrs. Rudolph Ernst, instructor in the University of Oregon at Eugene; another, John F Henson, city editor of the Port Angeles Evening News; 3 grandchildren, Marie Henson, Harry Henson, of Pullman, Washington and John Henson III of Port Angeles. A brother, Harry, of Tiverton, Devonshire, England and a sister, Sally, in England also survive. All the children were with their father at the last.

The late John Henson's only fraternal affiliation was with the Masonic Lodge. He was a member of the Douglas, Alaska lodge of the order and retained his affiliation with the northern lodge after moving here. He was for about 20 years the secretary of the Douglas lodge.

The remains are at the Dewey Lyden Company, funeral directors, and funeral arrangements will be made later.

John Hickok ( Port Angeles Evening News issue of 25 Mar 1926 )

Pioneer Professional Man Of The County Succumbs This Morning -- Came To County In 1887 And Lived Here Ever Since

John Dewey Hickok, 62, for almost forty years a prominent figure in the professional life of Port Angeles and Clallam County passed away at 6:10 o'clock this morning after a long illness.  Mr. Hickok had been suffering from a throat ailment and for almost six weeks had been bedridden, the trouble first becoming acute early last winter and gradually growing worse.

"Johnny" Hickok, as he was known to hundreds of Clallam County people, was a member of the oldest partnership existing in the county, that of Fisher & Hickok, constituting the Clallam County Abstract Company, this partnership dating from 1892 with H M Fisher, the other member of the firm.

Mr. Hickok was born on the family homestead near Havana, Minnesota on April 7, 1964.  He came to Clallam County in October, 1887.

Being a graduate of a Minnesota college, he first engaged in school teaching, the first year at Dungeness and the second in a log cabin school house at Mount Pleasant.  Following that term of school he became a deputy auditor under Smith Troy and was engaged in that work when the county seat was moved from Old Dungeness to Port Angeles and had that position in the court house when it was in the Greenleaf hotel that burned down here in 1891.

Mr. Hickok was the deputy treasurer under Warren Dodge in the late nineties and some years afterwards was elected to the office of county assessor and served a term in that capacity.

It was in 1889 that Mr. Hickok began making abstracts being in partnership with John W Troy in the business and in 1892 the present partnership was made with Mr. Fisher under the present firm name.

During all these years Mr. Hickok was in the abstract business and worked at it every day until illness forced him to stop.  Even after he was desperately ill he went to his place of business on Laurel street day after day.

With the opening up of the government reservation her Mr. Hickok homesteaded on the lots at the corner of Eighth and Pine streets where he built his home and where he passed away.  He lived in the county all the years since he came here with but one trip to visit relatives in the east in 1893.

Mr. Hickok was married to Ora D Robertson in this city in 1895 and it was Mrs. Hickok who nursed him through his last illness.  There are two children, Gertrude E Hickok of San Francisco and Frank Hickok of this city.

Two brothers, A L Hickok of Minneapolis and Homer Hickok of Havana, Minnesota, and a sister, Mrs. Morford of Owatanno, Minnesota, also survive him.

Mr. Hickok was a charter member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge of this city.  But three charter members of that lodge now survive, they being F P Fisher, E E Fisher and E E Hopkins, of this city.  He was also a member of Naval Lodge of Elks, his number being 59, he having joined on July 17, 1897.

In the passing of Mr. Hickok a real pioneer of the county has gone to rest.  He will be missed in the business and professional life of the community of which he has so long been a part.

He was highly capable in his line of business and was an encyclopedia of the property transfers of the county of more than a decade.  His family are receiving the condolences of scores of old-time friends over their loss.

The funeral is to be held at two o'clock Sunday afternoon.  Interment will be in Ocean View Cemetery.  The body is at the Lyden and Freeman Parlors.

Sigrid Rose Matson Hill ( 10 Nov 1967 )

Mrs. Sigrid Rose Hill, 77, a resident of Port Angeles since 1906 died here Friday. Funeral services will be held Monday at 11am at McDonald Funeral Home with Pastor LaVerne Nelsen officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Memorial Park.

Mrs. Hill was born in Finland in 1890. She became a resident of Port Angeles in 1906 and married Andrew Hill here in 1909. She has been a housewife here since Mr. Hill died in 1942.

Mrs. Hill was a member of the Golden Agers Club.

She is survived by 2 sons, Emil and Van, both of Port Angeles; 2 daughters, Mrs. Robert Schoettler of San Rafael, CA, and Mrs. Winifred Trudeau of Eugene, OR. Also surviving is a brother, Emil Matson of Port Angeles; 13 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

John Hillstrom (June 1948 )

Funeral services for one of the West End's pioneers, John Hillstrom, were held Monday afternoon at Forks First Congregational Church with Rev. Evan David officiating. Mrs. Thomas Mansfield sang "The Old Rugged Cross" and was accompanied at the organ by Mrs. U S Ford. Pall bearers were all long time residents of this community and old friends of the deceased. They were: O J Ford, Dan Sheared, Dan Miller, Russell Oliver, Ivan Shearer and Fred Wahlgren. Following the services at the Church, the procession proceeded to the Forks Cemetery where the Odd Fellows Lodge conducted the graveside services.

John Hillstrom was born in Sweden on May 29, 1871, and passed away Friday at his home at Bear Creek following a lingering illness. At the time of his death he was 77 years old.

Mr. Hillstrom lived in Sweden until he was 22 years old, when he came to the United States. That was 55 years ago. Forty-six years ago Mr. Hillstrom homesteaded at Bear Creek and had made his home there ever since excepting the time when the family lived in Forks. He owned and operated the Midget Dairy together with Mrs. Hillstrom and for many years serviced customers in both Forks and the surrounding communities.

Mr. Hillstrom also had been employed as a fire warden for many years, working from the Tyee Fire Station. In his early life, he was a sailor on merchant boats.

It was on Oct 7, 1916 in Port Angeles that Mr. Hillstrom and Olga Iverson were married. Hr. Hillstrom had been a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge No 135 at Forks for 30 years.

Surviving relatives include his wife, Olga Hillstrom and 2 sons, Antone John and David Lee Hillstrom, all of Bear Creek.

John Hitch ( Port Angeles Evening News issue of Mar 18, 1937 )

John Hitch, 96 year old Civil War veteran, who was the last surviving member of the 38th Regiment Iowa Volunteers which lost 200 officers and men by disease during the siege of Vicksburg, was taken to a local hospital at 6 last evening and died 2 hours later. His passing leaves only 2 members of the once proud Pacific Post, GAR--F M Wait and Tex Reynolds.

John Hitch was born on Jul 9, 1840 at Burlington, IA. When 22 he enlisted in the 38th Regiment Iowa Volunteers in Capt. J J Welsh's company at West Union, IA, commanded by Colonel David H Hughes. He served with the 38th in the siege of Vicksburg, in which the regiment lost 200 men and officers from disease and at one time Mr. Hitch was one of 20 men in the entire regiment fit for duty. So decimated was the 38th by disease and casualties that it was later merged with the 34th Iowa.

He served in the siege and capture of Fort Morgan and in the siege of Mobile, being actively engaged with troops capturing Spanish Fort and Fort Blakeley.

Mr. Hitch also served on detached duty as one of the main foragers for General Sherman's troops and often told of harrowing experiences of his foraging detail as it invaded farms to secure food for a northern army that was "living off the country."

"It wasnÕt very nice going onto farms and finding women and children there alone, and having to dig up their buried hams and bacons and drive off their horses and stock, but we were in the army and under orders," said Mr. Hitch. "And then again, the Johnnies were always taking pot-shots at us foragers so the odds were about even."

He was discharged from the army at Houston, Texas in 1865. On March 10, 1867 he was joined in marriage to Miss Ada A. Ablett at West Union, Iowa. Mrs. Hitch died in Port Angeles on June 11, 1929.

From Iowa, Mr. Hitch took his family into northern California and operated a hotel at Mott, near the base of Mount Shasta, and later operated several mills in the northern California.

The family moved to Port Angeles 45 years ago to take up lots when the reserve was opened, and it is significant that he took up a lot at 5th and Lincoln Streets, where the Grand Army Hall now stands. Here he built a plain board "shack" and resided there for a time. Later he purchased other property.

He was a life member in the Masonic order and had served Pacific Post Grand Army of the Republic as sergeant-major in 1911 and as quartermaster for 3 consecutive years. He has been a constant attendant at Memorial services for his many departed comrades, all of them his junior in point of years at the time of their deaths.

Mr. Hitch was a great walker and up until a few days of his death would walk to town and chat with friends and acquaintances. He had a fine philosophy of living and had made painstaking preparations for his passing, selecting the very casket he wished to be laid away in.

He is mourned by his beloved daughter, Mrs. Norman W Sturdevant, of Port Angeles and 2 grandsons, Vernon and Harvey Sturdevant, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Norman W Sturdevant.

Funeral services for Mr. Hitch will be held Monday at 2pm from the Christman Mortuary with Port Angeles Lodge #69, Free and Accepted Masons, in charge. Mr. Hitch was the last living charter member of the Lodge, having been affiliated with it from an eastern lodge in 1891 and was a life member.

Burial will be at Ocean View Cemetery.

Joseph Anthony Hoare

Joseph Anthony Hoare, 60, of East Beach, Lake Crescent, Port Angeles businessman, died Tuesday after an extended illness. Rosary will be held at Queen of Angels Catholic Church Friday at 7:30pm. Funeral Mass will be at the church Saturday at 8:30am. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Cemetery under the direction of the Harper Funeral Home.

Mr. Hoare was the son of Mr. and Mrs. William J. Hoare, born in London, England, Aug 23, 1899. He came from London to Port Angeles with his family in 1903.

He attended Port Angeles schools and was attending the University of Washington when he entered the Navy in 1918. Contracting tuberculosis while in the Navy it was necessary to live an outdoor life after his discharge. He bought a farm in the Black Diamond district and lived there until 1935 when he started a fuel oil business here. He moved to Medford, OR in 1957 where he was president and general manager of the Oregon Veneer Co.

He became ill at Medford and returned to his Lake Crescent home where he died.

Mr. Hoare married Frances Filion here June 16, 1928. He was past president of the Port Angeles Rotary Club and up until his last illness was a member of the Medford Rotary Club. He was a member of Naval Lodge of Elks, Port Angeles Aerie of Eagles, Walter Akeley Post of the American Legion, Queen of Angels Catholic Church and Port Angeles Knights of Columbus.

Many old time residents remember Mr. Hoare's grandfather, B. A. Muskett, pioneer Port Angeles merchant.

Surviving relatives include his wife, Mrs. Frances Hoare; 2 daughters, Mrs. Robert Chamberlain, Port Angeles and Mrs. William Mead, Seattle; 2 sons, Joseph Anthony Hoare, Jr., at the University of Washington and Michael Hoare, Port Angeles; a sister, Mrs. Henry McMahon, Seattle; a brother, Sidney Hoare, Port Angeles; and 6 grandchildren.

James W Hooker ( d Sep 22, 1937 Port Angeles Evening News issue of Sep 23, 1937 )

James W Hooker, 72, a pioneer of Clallam County and former city councilman, passed away in his sleep shortly after midnight Wednesday at his home 109 So. Eunice St. after a lifetime of civic usefulness. His remains rest at the Christman Mortuary awaiting word from several daughters in New York, Illinois, California, and Honolulu before funeral announcements will be made.

James W Hooker was born on Aug 23, 1865, 25 miles from Madisonville in Florida, the son of an illustrious father, Major William Franklin Hooker, who served as a Confederate officer during the Civil War. His grandfather was a captain in the War of 1812. Major Hooker served as postmaster of Port Angeles, having been appointed by President Grover Cleveland to succeed John Fenn.

James Hooker came to Washington with his parents in 1880, his father subsequently serving every public office in the gift of the resident of Cheney, now the home of Governor Clarence Martin. It is significant that a large delegation of republican leaders visited Major Hooker at Cheney when he was editor of the Cheney Sentinel and told him he "Could be Governor of Washington state without any opposition if he would renounce the democratic party and run under the republican banner." Major Hooker thanked them for the honor, but told them he had served as a Confederate officer, had been a lifelong democrat, and that while he believed the West opposed free trade, would "not accept the kind offer because it would break the hearts of my old associates and friends in the South."

Grown to manhood in eastern Washington, James Hooker owned large bands of horses, became an expert rider and spent many years on the Big Bend range, "breaking horses" for the Eastern market and for the US Government.

He was joined in marriage to Miss Lucy Ann Robertson in Seattle on Jan 3, 1889 and returned with his bride to Cheney, where they resided until 1892, when the family moved to Port Angeles and settled on a homestead that adjoins the present farm of Ed Hooker, a brother who survives him. They returned to Port Angeles in 1902, residing on Lincoln Heights.

James Hooker's advent to Port Angeles was in a true spirit of pioneering. With his brother, Ed, and a cowboy named Jim Williams, he drove a large band of horses from Ellensburg, via Snoqualmie Pass, when only a trail was the method of travel in many places. The horses were brought to Sequim prairie.

An incident occurred enroute that was recalled today. A settler had placed poles across the portals of a pole bridge over the Snoqualmie River and tried to collect toll for the 3 men and horses. "We had been told by a commissioner of Kittitas County about the trick, and so Jim rode up to the poles , kicked them down and drove the horses across without paying the toll," said Ed Hooker.

When the Hookers settled in the east end of Clallam County, the present site of Carlsborg was known as Rena, a man named Redwine owing a store and operating a post office there.

In 1903 the family moved to Redding, California and resided there until 1910, returning to make their home in Port Angeles, constructing a home at 109 S. Eunice where they resided until Mr. Hooker's passing.

Lucy A. Robertson Hooker ( 2-13-1960 )

Mrs. Lucy A. Hooker of 113 S Eunice St., died Saturday. Private Christian Science funeral services were held at 3pm today at the McDonald Funeral Home. Cremation followed.

The family announces friends may make memorial contributions to the ESTARL Fund of Esther Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star.

Mrs. Hooker was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Robertson born in New Brunswick, Canada. She resided in Port Angeles 50 years. She is the widow of James W. Hooker, Port Angeles.

She was a member of the Mother Church, the First Church of Christ Scientist in Boston and the First Church of Christ Scientist in Port Angeles.

Surviving relatives include 2 sons, H. Earle Hooker and James F Hooker, both of Port Angeles; 6 daughters, Ann J. Gehrke, Port Angeles; Hazel Wilborg, Tacoma; Georgia E Cheal in CA; Helen Altick in OH; Lucille S. Kelliher in HI; and Fran Rosebrook, Honolulu; 6 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren.

Paul Theodore Hopf

Paul Theodore Hopf, 93, was born in Hernhut, Saxony, Germany, Dec 1, 1860. Coming to the US when 19 years of age, he first lived in San Diego, California, the in Arizona, where he farmed for 10 years.

Mr. Hopf married Mary Ann Thompson in Springerville, Arizona, Jul 23, 1895. The family came to Pysht, Washington in 1905, where he was Western Union telegraph operator for a year. The family moved to Port Angeles in 1906 where he was a stationary engineer at the Filion Mill 16 years, and later an engineer at other local mills. He was custodian at the Lincoln and other schools until his retirement. Mr. Hopf was financial secretary of the Odd Fellows Lodge for 40 years. Other affiliation were Woodmen of the World, and Church of Latter Day Saints.

Surviving beside his wife are 4 daughters, Mrs. Marilla Dot Vane, Mrs. Eliza Larrick, and Mrs. Edna Ellen Clark, all of Port Angeles; and Mrs. Polly R. Buchanan, California; 2 sons, Henry Lloyd Hopf and Paul T Hopf, both of Port Angeles; 14 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren . A son Guy Barnhard Hopf, died in 1930. The McDonald Funeral Home will have charge of the services on Friday, the odd Fellows Lodge will officiate, and cremation will follow.

Eugene E Hopkins ( d Oct 10, 1936 Port Angeles Evening News issue of Oct 10, 1934 )

Eugene E Hopkins, 67, pioneer peace officer and business man of this city, succumbed early this morning to a long illness after a residence in Port Angeles of 46 years. Funeral services will be held Friday at 2pm at the chapel of the Dewey Lyden Funeral Home. Rev. C E Fulmer will officiate and cremation will follow.

Born Jun 6, 1867, at Sharon Center, Ohio, the late Mr. Hopkins came west when he was 21 years of age, and 46 years ago came to Port Angeles. He was engaged in engineering for the city of Port Angeles in 1891 and later followed the same occupation with N R Smith, early day engineer.

Most of Mr. Hopkins' career here was in the line of a peace officer, having served as sheriff of Clallam County, chief of police of Port Angeles and office deputy sheriff under Sheriffs Harry Bishop, William Nelson and Jack Pike. For several years Mr. Hopkins operated a grocery store in the Front St. location where the McCart Grocery now is. For a time he managed a livery stable for Sam Johnson and was a great lover of horses.

Mr. Hopkins belonged to the Elks, Eagles, K. of P. and AOUW lodges of this city, and took a prominent part in the affairs of all the organizations. He had a wide acquaintanceship in the city through his long residence and affiliations.

Eugene E Hopkins was married to Miss Eva Wilson in Port Angeles on Dec 18, 1890. One daughter, Laura, was born to the union and she died in 1918 and the only surviving relative is the widow, of this city.

Horace G. Horstman

Horace G. Horstman, 78, of 519 E 12th St., pioneer resident, died Tuesday afternoon after an illness of a week and a half. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1pm at the McDonald Funeral Home with the Rev. Mackenzie Murray officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Angeles Cemetery.

Mr. Horstman was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Horstman, born in Cincinnati, OH Aug 30, 1879. He attended Cincinnati University School of Engineering a year, and the law school three years, graduating with a degree of law in 1900. He was admitted to the bar in Ohio that year and in Washington in 1903 and to the federal court in 1908.

Mr. Horstman first came here on a visit in 1902 when he met Elizabeth Irma Beam. They were married in Kansas Sep 1905. The couple returned here to live in 1916. Mrs. Horstman died here in 1952.

On his first visit here, he was secretary to Norman R. Smith who was promoting a railroad here. Some trackage was built and the project abandoned. He returned to Cincinnati and practiced law.

As a young men he spent several years in a Colorado mining district. When he returned to Port Angeles he became interest in prospecting and mine development and did much development works on claims near Port Angeles. He always was optimistic over the Olympic Peninsula as a gold mining area.

Here he was a member of the City Council several terms about 40 years ago. He was a member of the City Planning Commission many years. During two world wars he took part in bond drives and other civic activities.

In recent past years he managed his residential property in Port Angeles and was still interested in his mining ventures adjacent to Port Angeles. He was a precinct committeeman in his ward for the Republican Party. He pioneered the development of E 5th St. and was one of the builders of the former First Presbyterian Church at 8th and Cherry Sts. Until recent months, when his health failed, he was an active member of the Chamber of Commerce and attended all the weekly meetings.

Mr. Horstman was a member of the Masonic Lodge of Cincinnati affiliated with the York and Scottish Rite orders to the 32nd degree.

Surviving relatives include 2 daughters, Mrs. James R Bennett (Elizabeth) of Easton, PA; and Mrs. Leland Bull (Alice) of Seattle; a son Horace G. Horstman, Jr., Port Angeles; a sister Florence Pickford, Port Angeles; and a grandson, Leland Bull, Jr., Seattle.

Joseph Hottowe ( bu Ocean View Cemetery Sep 15, 1910 )

Joseph Hottowe. one of the best known farmers in the central western portion of Clallam County, died in this city on Sep 13, after an illness of many weeks. The funeral too place on Thursday, the 15h, from the Fulmer undertaking parlors, services being conducted by Rev. Stephen Smith of the Congregational Church. Interment was made at Ocean View Cemetery. The deceased leaves a widow and 3 sons residing on the home place, midway between Piedmont and Port Crescent, and a daughter living Seattle. He was a native of Austria, was 64 years old and had resided in Clallam County for over 20 years.

Oscar Marlow Howard ( d Jan 24, 1975 )

Oscar Marlow Howard, 66, of Joyce, died in Seattle Friday. The funeral will be Tuesday at 1pm at the Harper Funeral Home in Port Angeles with Pastor Robert Moylan of the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church officiating. Interment will be in Ocean View Cemetery.

Mr. Howard was born Aug 6, 1908 in Seattle, WA, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Howard, Sr. of Port Crescent. He married Elsie Aura Jan 18, 1942 in Port Angeles. His family moved from Port Crescent to the Howard ranch west of Joyce Dec 17, 1914. Mr. Howard attended the old Gettysburg and Lyre River school and graduated from Crescent Consolidated School in 1925.

He attended the University of Washington and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering in June, 1937.

He worked for the US Bureau of Public Roads in Idaho and Montana, and later as a mechanical engineer for the US Navy Department in Bremerton. He retired from the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton in June 1972, he was a veteran of WWII serving at Fort Lewis and Fort Ord, California in 1941.

Surviving are his widow; a son Lauran Lyle Howard of Bremerton; a daughters, Mrs. Laura Paulson of Anchorage, Alaska; 3 sisters, Mrs. Robert B Elliott of Seattle, Mrs. Irwin C Harper of Port Angeles, Mrs. Ralph Hedin of Joyce; and a brother, Clare M Howard of Joyce.

Oscar Michael Howard

Oscar Michael Howard, 76, of Joyce, died here Monday after a residence of 51 years in Clallam County. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 3:30pm at the McDonald Funeral Home with the Rev. John F Como officiating.

Mr. Howard was born in St. Louis, MO, Nov 25, 1878, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Howard. He came here in 1904 and resided in Clallam County every since.

For 30 years until his retirement, he was a railroad engineer on the Olympic Peninsula. For the past several years he owned and operated a farm in the Joyce district, west of Port Angeles. Mr. Howard was a member of the University Christian Church. He married Mamie Marlow in Seattle in 1907.

Surviving are his wife, Mamie Howard, Joyce; 2 sons, Clare M Howard, Bremerton, and Oscar Howard, Bremerton; 3 daughters, Margaret Howard and Ferne Elliott, both of Seattle; and Mary Harper, Port Angeles; and 6 grandchildren.

Mary M. Howeattle

Mrs. Mary M. Howeattle, 76, of Queets, Jefferson Co., died Thursday after an extended illness while enroute to an Aberdeen hospital.

Funeral services will be Monday at 2pm at the LaPush Shaker Church with the Rev. Charles Howeattle officiating. Burial will be in the LaPush Cemetery under direction of the Forks Mortuary.

Mrs. Howeattle was the widow of a Howeattle, of the line of traditional chiefs of the Quileute Indians of LaPush. She was born at Queets and lived there all her life.

Surviving are her son, Weaver, Mayor of Queets, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

George Hudson ( d 12-27-1933 Port Angeles Evening News issue of Dec 28, 1933 )

George Hudson, 50, injured in the Peabody St mudslide Thursday, Dec 21, succumbed to his injuries at a local hospital last night at 4. Hudson's home at Victoria and Peabody Sts was crushed and swept into the harbor when tons of earth tore loose from the hillside during the heavy rainstorm Thursday morning, Dec. 21. Hudson was in the house at the time and was carried into the water by the slide and received a fractured pelvis and his limbs were badly bruised and crushed. He also suffered from exposure due to immersion in the cold waters of the harbor.

Born in Jefferson County, OH, in 1883, the late Mr. Hudson came to Port Angeles 26 years ago and was employed as a logger, having worked last for Frank Donahue.

The only known surviving relative is a brother Charles, who lives in Dawset, Jefferson County, OH. The brother has been informed of Hudson's death by the Dewey Lyden Funeral Home and funeral announcements will be made when word has been received from him.

Hudson's death brings the toll to the pre-Christmas storm here to 2, the other death was that of 3 year old Nicky Fumar, who was swept to his death by flood waters of Tumwater Creek Monday, Dec 18.

William Hudson ( d Nov 16, 1967 )

William Hudson, 89, of LaPush, died Saturday after an extended illness. Funeral services will be held Tuesday 1pm at the Assembly of God Church, LaPush, with Rev. Mr. Jessie Bleven officiating. Harper Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

Mr. Hudson was born Oct 9, 1877, in LaPush where he lived his entire life. He was a fisherman by vocation.

Survivors include his wife, Lucy, of Auburn; 2 sons, Theodore Hudson, Lower Hoh River, and Floyd Hudson, LaPush; 13 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren .

Dora Carolina Wolff Huelsdonk ( d 4-27-1947 )

Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2pm from Forks Congregational Church for Mrs. Dora Carolina Huelsdonk, wife of John Huelsdonk, the legendary "Iron Man of the Hoh" who died in October, 1946. Mrs. Huelsdonk, a beloved pioneer resident of the Upper Hoh river, passed away quietly Sunday evening at her home.

Rev. Evan David officiated at the funeral services. Pallbearers were Dan Shearer, Peter Brandeberry, Herman Smith, Henry Fletcher, Nansen Anderson and Tom Mansfield. Burial was in the family cemetery on the Hoh river. The Forks Mortuary had charge of the funeral arrangements.

Dora Wolff was born on Oct 2, 1863 in the principality of Lippe on the lower Rhine River, Germany. At the time of her death she was 83 years old. When Dora was 6, she lost both of her parents. In Germany the responsibility for rearing and education orphans fell to the prosperous landholders of the community, so little Dora Wolff found a home in the family of Henry Huelsdonk.

When Dora was 14, the Huelsdonk family sold their estate to emigrate to America; but not wishing to separate Dora from her brothers and sisters, (who were being cared for by other families in the neighborhood) they left her behind. She supported herself until a number of years later when her brother also went to America and Dora soon followed him to work in middle western cities.

Having learned that her foster parents had bought an Iowa farm, she visited them and there met again her childhood playmate and foster brother, now grown to a husky 200 pound man. On October 5, 1892 the couple were married and shortly afterwards homesteaded at Hoh valley. Dora Huelsdonk has lived on the Hoh ever since and has only left the homestead a few times since.

To reach her home as a young bride, they traveled over 60 miles of trail and trackless wilderness, and she had never before been away from cities and densely populated communities.

On arrival at the homestead, there was the difficulty of finding adequate food as only sugar, coffee, flour and salt could be transported in: and these must be carried many weary miles on the back or poled up the swift and treacherous Hoh in an Indian canoe. After awhile, when a little money was available, mail order houses supplied cloth and Mrs. Huelsdonk sewed it into dresses and petticoats and underwear for herself and her little girls. In summer there were no shoes for the children; only the grownups who could not risk the accidents that might arise from thousands of brush snags and knots were shod all the time.

Game from the forest supplied meat, but a some time even the game was terrible scared, for big timber wolves killed the elk and deer, and only occasionally could one be found for meat. Even then the meat had to be packed through miles of almost impenetrable brush. The hunter did not select only the better portions of the carcass in those days; he brought the whole animal wasting nothing.

About all Mrs. Huelsdonk had brought with her to the wilderness was a trunk containing the beautiful clothes she had bought during the years she had been working. When her first children were born, she drew upon the contents of this trunk for materials to dress the little girls in silks and broadcloths and ruffles. But such clothes made for her a great deal of work and were impractical. At last she capitulated to her husband's suggestions regarding the children's clothing and henceforth denim became the order of the day. The silks remained in the trunk to be taken out from time to time and admired for their beauty.

Mrs. Huelsdonk was a tiny woman yet she held her own in pioneer days when life was hard. She learned that pioneer women at times had to depend upon themselves alone in the absence of their husbands away at work and her experiences at times were terrifying and called for quick thinking and judgment and great moral courage.

Mrs. Huelsdonk was a wonderful and kind mother and wife. She and her husband were married well over 50 years before her husband's death and were devoted to each other.

Surviving relatives include her 4 daughters: Mrs. Fred Fletcher, Mrs. John Fletcher, Mrs. Earl Richmond and Mrs. Charles Lewis; besides a number of grandchildren, other relatives and friends.

Henry Huelsdonk ( d Mar 14, 1936 Port Angeles Evening News issue of Mar 18, 1936 )

FORKS--March 18--Henry Huelsdonk, Hoh pioneer and brother of John Huelsdonk, "Iron Man of the Hoh," died Saturday night at a hospital in Forks. He was 72. Funeral services were held here on Tuesday.

Mr. Huelsdonk, a beloved figure of the peninsula, had made his home in the Hoh region 42 years. He was noted as a lover of books and a keen student of history and literature besides being a naturalist of more than average renown.

He was a veteran trail builder of the peninsula and eaves as monuments to his work many miles of trail and several remarkable gorge bridges built under severe handicap. For years he was trail crew boss in the Hoh-Bogachiel region. He was a skilled carpenter.

Mr. Huelsdonk was born in the little principality of Lippe, which later became a unit of the German empire. Coming to the US at the age of 15, he resided for some years in Iowa and California before settling on the Hoh. Surviving him are brothers John, Cornelius, Fred, William and August and Mrs. Elizabeth Smith and Mrs. Johanna Wolff, sisters.

John Huelsdonk ( Oct 31, 1946 )

John Huelsdonk, 79, the legendary "Iron man of the Hoh" the Olympic Peninsula's most famous pioneer, died at a local hospital early this morning from a heart ailment after about 2 weeks illness. Details of the funeral have not yet been arranged by the Christman Mortuary other than that the services will either be at the family homestead in the Hoh valley or at Forks.

John Huelsdonk was born in Germany Nov. 27, 1866 and came to the US, settling in Iowa 70 years ago. Almost 60 years ago the young man came west and worked with timber survey parties near Snohomish and the east end of Clallam County. 55 years ago the young woodsman went through the heavy woods of the upper Hoh river valley and homesteaded on 160 acres of land where he lived until his last illness.

It was in 1892 that Mr. Huelsdonk went back to Iowa and married Dora Wolff, a childhood sweetheart, Mrs. Huelsdonk is still living on the Hoh river homestead.

During the early years of his homesteading on the Hoh, Mr. Huelsdonk was employed as a logger at Port Crescent and used to walk from there over the mountains to the upper Hoh to spend the weekend with his family.

As the years went by the Olympic Peninsula folks began to hear stories of the "Iron Man of the Hoh," his feats of strength, his ability as a hunter and trapper and found that all the stories they heard were true. He did much hunting and trapping and his daughter, Mrs. Earl Richmond, said that he had killed about 100 cougars and many other predatory animals. He killed his last bobcat only a couple of years ago.

The Huelsdonk family lived on the Hoh homestead for 30 years before there was any road near the place. Supplies were either packed in on horses or on the backs of the settlers. The homes were built of hand-made lumber and shakes and the furniture were built of materials at hand.

At one time John Huelsdonk's father, mother and grandfather and a brother Henry, resided along the banks of the river.

The road was finally build along the Hoh valley by Jefferson County and there was access to towns by car except that there was no bridge across the stream. The bridge was built about 3 years ago and the pioneer was proud of the structure that was within 100 yards of his home.

Mr. Huelsdonk raided cattle and had a fine farm but devoted much of his time until recent years to woodcraft, hunting and trapping.

In 1916 when the trails were being built in to the upper Hoh, Huelsdonk would strap 175-200 pounds of provisions on his back and pack them up to the trail crews. He did this not for bravado but for 2 men's pay. And 2 men's pay during the short working season helped put his 4 daughters through the university.

FOLLOW-UP article adds: ---Monday afternoon funeral services were held in Forks. Services were held from the Forks Congregational Church with Rev. Evan David officiating.

David Marshall Hume ( d Oct 3, 1921 )

David Marshall Hume died at the home of his niece, Mrs. Thad Wagner, Monday, Oct 3, 1921, after a brief illness.

Mr. Hume was the first white male child born in Clallam County, the date of his birth being Aug [ ? ], 1858. His parents came here in a row boat from Victoria in the early days and settled in this county.

Two children survive him. Mrs. Alice Margaret Cauthorn of Port Angeles and David M Hume, of Sequim. Funeral services were held from the local church, Rev. Ernest Bates officiating. Interment was the Dungeness Cemetery Wednesday morning.

Katie Harmon Hunter ( d 1-26-1985 )

NEAH BAY--Funeral service for Katie Hunter, 98, oldest member of the Makah Indian Tribe, will be at 1pm Saturday in the Neah Bay gymnasium with the Rev. Alvin Oya and Lyle Hunter officiating. Burial will be in the Neah Bay Cemetery. Mrs. Hunter died Saturday in Port Angeles. Friends may call Thursday and Friday at Harper-Ridgeview Chapel in Port Angeles from 9am to 5pm.

Katie Harmon was born at Ozette on May 12, 1886, the daughter of Charles and Evelyn Weberhard Harmon. She was taken to LaPush as a child and subsequently to Neah Bay where she spent the remainder of her life. She was fluent in the Makah language as well as the of the Quileutes. Mrs. Hunter had been a widow since the death of her husband, Martin, on April 15, 1955.

She is survived by a son, Roger Colfax, Sr., of Neah Bay; 10 grandchildren; 31 great-grandchildren, and 42 great-great-grandchildren.

Marie Hutchinson ( 12-28-1969 )

Funeral services for Mrs. Marie Hutchinson, 76, will be held at McDonald Funeral Home Tuesday at 1pm with burial at Ocean View Cemetery and Pastor LaVerne Nelsen officiating. Mrs. Hutchinson died in Port Angeles Sunday. She lived at 131 W 2nd St. She was born in Iceland, Oct 18, 1893. She married Charles Hutchinson Jan 1, 1920, after she had come to Victoria in the early 1900's. Her husband died in 1944.

Coming to Port Angeles from Victoria in 1905, she resided here until her death, working for a period of time as a milliner, and for the old Leader Store. Until her retirement in 1959, she worked in a jewelry store since her marriage.

Survivors include 2 daughters, Mrs. Ken Bradford and Mrs. Floyd Vernon, both of Port Angeles. Memorial contributions may be made to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church.