to the book, Heimatkries Tetschen-Bodenbach, Städte und Gemeinden,
the 1800s were the age of growth and expansion for Steinschönau and its glass
firms. At the start of the century,
there were 267 houses – a 20% growth in less than 15 years. This growth would continue throughout the
century – however, the growth in the number of
The largest glass firm at the start of the century, 1804, was Franz Vogel, which was established in 1760. The firm employed 162 people as follows:
é 50 Vergolder
é 43 Glaskugel
é 25 Scheifer
é 22 Glass cutters
é 2 Glass painters
é 7 Stöopseleinbonrer
é 4 Speigelmacher
é 9 Tischler
The concept of community investment also continued in this century. In 1810, a home for the elderly was established at Haus Nr. 287. Eleven years later, Florian Vogel established the City’s health facility with an investment of 1,000 florians. In 1866, a similar establishment was created by the Helzel family in Haus Nr. 416.
By this point, there existed twenty great glass houses in the City. These were:
Ignaz Palme König & Co. Franz Anton Knechtel (est. 1780)
Josef Zahn & Co. Anton Schimmel
Czerny & Co. Florian Hoch
Ignaz Ullman Johann Muller
Josef Conrath & Co. Sebastian Weidlich
Krisler & Co. Franz Palme König
F.A. Kittel Rudolf Müller
F.A. Zahn Josef Heinrich & Sohn
Brüher Stelzig u. Elias Palme Handschke
While the glass industry would continue to grow, the City also had to deal with its first disaster – fire. In 1868, a fire swept through the town destroying 48 buildings and displacing 84 families. The City would rebuild over time.
the Steinschönau glass houses joined with others in the region to form the
Towards the end of the century, development in infrastructure continued. In 1886, the glass houses guaranteed the sum of 22,000 florians for the construction of a rail spur to Steinschönau from Böhm-Kamnitz. With the completion of that railway, the glass industry and the town boomed. In the final decade, a boys and a girls school were built, as well as an electrical plant. All of which lead to a rapid expansion of the City. 1900 would find over 640 houses, over two and half times the number that were in existence at the start of 1800. The population was over 5,000 people – twice as many as there were in the town at the start of the 1800s.
 Herr, Alfred, ed. Heimatkries
Tetschen-Bodenbach, Städte und Gemeinden, Heimatverband Kries
Tetschen-Bodenbach e. V., Nördlingen, 1977.
Steinschönau information is found on pages 199-224. Also, special thanks to Heinrich Lerch from