1. JOHANN1 HERCHENROEDER was born 1628, and died 26 April 1707 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel1.
More About JOHANN HERCHENROEDER:
Protokollbucher: mentioned within these2
Children of JOHANN HERCHENROEDER are:
i. JOHANNES2 HERCHENROEDER, b. 1661; d. 18
September 1735, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel3;
m. MARGARTHA HILDENBANDTS, 26 February 1690/91, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel4.
2. ii. JOHANN NICOLAS HERCHENROEDER, b. 1664; d. 02 February 1736/37, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
iii. JOHANN JOERG HERCHENROEDER, m. ANNA MARIA LOTZ, 07 August 1694, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel5.
2. JOHANN NICOLAS2 HERCHENROEDER (JOHANN1) was born 1664, and died 02 February 1736/37 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel6. He married CATHARINA KLAEHR 23 January 1689/90 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel7, daughter of HENRICH KLAEHR and EVA SCHEEL. She was born 10 August 1660, and died 11 August 1746 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel8.
More About JOHANN NICOLAS HERCHENROEDER:
Occupation: Church elder
Children of JOHANN HERCHENROEDER and CATHARINA KLAEHR are:
i. JOHANN CASPAR3 HERCHENROEDER, b. 07 August 1692, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel9.
3. ii. JOHANN LUDWIG HERCHENROEDER, b. 21 Oct 1699, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 11 July 1751, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
3. JOHANN LUDWIG3 HERCHENROEDER (JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 21 October 1699 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel10, and died 11 July 1751 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel11. He married MARIA ELIESABETHA MUELLER 02 September 1723 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel12, daughter of CONRAD MUELLER and ANNA HEIDT. She was born 07 April 1701 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel13, and died 14 December 1769 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel14.
Children of JOHANN HERCHENROEDER and MARIA MUELLER are:
i. JOHANN NICOLAS4 HERCHENROEDER, b. 16 Dec 1724, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel15; d. 04 Feby 1747/48, Steinau, H-K.
4. ii. ANNA MARIA HERCHENROEDER, b. 07 August 1726, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 11 April 1795, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
iii. ANNA ELIESABETHA HERCHENROEDER, b. 27 August 1728, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel16.
iv. JOHANNES ADAM HERCHENROEDER, b. 21 April 1730, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel17.
v. JOHANN PHILIPPS HERCHENROEDER, b. 02 April 1732, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel18.
4. ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER (JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 07 August 1726 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel19, and died 11 April 1795 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel20. She married JOHANNES AMEND 07 March 1746/47 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel21, son of JOHANN ENDE and EVA HEYDT. He was born 23 May 1719 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel, and died 05 December 1801 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel22.
Children of ANNA HERCHENROEDER and JOHANNES AMEND are:
i. JOHANN ADAM5 AMEND, b. 09 May 1749, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel23.
5. ii. JOHANN PETER AMEND, b. 28 January 1750/51, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 28 November 1832, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
iii. EVA CATHARINA AMEND, b. 01 September 1753, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel24.
iv. JOHANN NICOLAUS AMEND, b. 22 August 1755, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel25.
v. ANNA MARIA AMEND, b. 25 April 1757, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel26.
vi. ANTHON AMEND, b. 16 June 1758, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel27.
vii. CONRAD BERNHARD AMEND, b. 09 January 1761, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel28.
viii. JOHANNES AMEND, b. 08 July 1763, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel29.
ix. JOHANN WILHELM AMEND, b. 05 January 1765, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel30.
x. JOHANN CONRAD AMEND, b. 31 July 1767, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel31.
xi. MARIA ELISABETHA AMEND, b. 08 April 1769, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel32.
5. JOHANN PETER5 AMEND (ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 28 January 1750/51 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel33, and died 28 November 1832 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel34. He married CATHARINA ELISABETHA KLAERLE 21 July 1779 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel35, daughter of NICOLAUS KLAERLE/KLELE and ANNA KEHM. She was born 21 August 1750 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel36, and died 01 April 1815 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel37.
More About JOHANN PETER AMEND:
Children of JOHANN AMEND and CATHARINA KLAERLE are:
6. i. JOHANN NICOLAUS6 AMEND, b. 09 October 1783, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 05 July 1847, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
7. ii. JOHANNES AMEND, b. 29 June 1780, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 21 November 1852, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
6. JOHANN NICOLAUS6 AMEND (JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 09 October 1783 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel38, and died 05 July 1847 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel39. He married MARIA ELISABETHA EULER 25 April 1811 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel40, daughter of JOHANNES EULER and ANNA EULER. She was born 04 April 1780 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel41, and died 17 January 1821 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel42.
More About JOHANN NICOLAUS AMEND:
Occupation: Schreinermeister - Master Joiner
Child of JOHANN AMEND and MARIA EULER is:
8. i. ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, b. 08 April 1815, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 10 June 1881, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA.
7. JOHANNES6 AMEND (JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 29 June 1780 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel43, and died 21 November 1852 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel44. He married ANNA MARGARETHA SIMON, daughter of JOHANN SIMON and ANNA SCHMIDT. She was born 08 November 1789 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassell45, and died 26 February 1852 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassell.
Child of JOHANNES AMEND and ANNA SIMON is:
9. i. MARIA7 AMEND, b. 26 December 1817, Steinau, Hessen-Kassell; d. 08 December 1888, Steinau, Hessen-Kassell.
8. ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND (JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 08 April 1815 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel46, and died 10 June 1881 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania47,48. She married LEONHARD ALT 14 September 1838 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel49,50, son of JOHANN ALT and ANNA SCHWEDNER. He was born 04 August 1810 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel51, and died 19 May 1884 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania52,53.
More About ANNA MARGARETHA AMEND:
Burial: 12 June 1881, St. Pauls Evangelical Luthern Cemetary
Funeral: 12 June 1880, At 2 p.m. in the family home in South Side per obituary.
More About LEONHARD ALT:
Burial: 22 May 1884, St. Pauls Evangelical Luthern Cemetary
Census - 1870: 04 June 1870, P. O. Surgeons Hall, Crimily (?) Borough, Allegheny Co., PA54
Census - 1880: Harcumases Alley, Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA55
Fact 2: 30 May 1855, Declared intent to become citizen - U.S. West. Dist. of Penn.56
Military service: Discharged 19 April 183659,60,61
Property: In Steinau owned property62
Children of ANNA AMEND and LEONHARD ALT are:
i. NICOLAUS8 ALT63, b. 07 February 1837, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 11 June 1843, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
10. ii. ANNA ELISABETHA ALT, b. 01 May 1842, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 12 January 1928, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA
11. iii. EVA ELISABETHA ALT, b. 05 July 1844, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
iv. MARGARET ALT, b. 185564; m. HENRY F. VEGELER65,66.
v. MARY ALT, b. Jan 1857, Pittsburgh, PA; d. 03 Jan 1883, PittsburghPA; m. HENRY ERBE, 22 July 1877, Pittsburgh, PA.
9. MARIA7 AMEND (JOHANNES6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 26 December 1817 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassell67, and died 08 December 1888 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassell. She married JOHANN MICH. KALMBACHER. He was born in Engelsbrand, Wuerttemburg68.
Child of MARIA AMEND and JOHANN KALMBACHER is:
12. i. MARIE ELIZABETH8 KALMBACHER, b. 18 July 1856, Steinau, Hessen-Kassell.
10. ANNA ELISABETHA8 ALT (ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 01 May 1842 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel69, and died 12 January 1928 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania70,71. She married JOHANN HEINRICH AUGUST FUNK 28 July 1860 in St. Paul's Evng. Luth. Church, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania72, son of JOHANN FUNK and JOHANNE/ANNE BECK. He was born 03 January 1837 in Minden, Westphalia, Prussia73,74,75, and died 09 June 1900 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania76,77,78.
More About ANNA ELISABETHA ALT:
Fraternal Organization: member - Friedericka Rebakah Lodge No. 201, IOOF
Other: Received after August's death a Veteran's Pension
More About JOHANN HEINRICH AUGUST FUNK:
Burial: South Side Cemetery, Pittsburgh, PA79
Census - 1860: Augustus Funk, Pg. 109, Allegheny County, Birmingham Burough80
Census - 1870: 04 June 1870, P.O.Surgeons Hall, Allegheny County (Crimily Borough?), Pg 2781
Census - 1880: 03 July 1880, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania82
Church book entry: 1869, Listed on the Membership Rolls with Friederich Albrecht, friend. 83
Fact 4: 30 August 1886, Witness to brother Bernhardt's petition to naturalize
Fraternity Membership: member - Peter Futs Lodge No. 468, IOOF
Military Record: Civil War Vet - 74th Penn Vol Inf84,85,86
Occupation: 1890, Pittsburgh City Directory - August Funk - whol liquors - listed at 48 South 27th Street87
Wedding: 28 July 1860, Married - St. Paul's Evangelical Church - lists full name, Westphalen
Will: 20 June 1900, Presentation of his will by his wife to the Office of the Register of Wills in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Real property of $5800 and personal property of $120088
Children of ANNA ALT and JOHANN FUNK are:
i. ELIZABETH9 FUNK, b. 31 May 186189; d. 13 February 186390.
13. ii. WILLIAM LANEHART FRED FUNK, b. 20 July 1865, South Side, Allegheny, PA; d. 27 April 1905, Pittsburgh, PA.
iii. HENRY FUNK, b. 16 October 186690; d. 30 October 186790.
iv. HENRY A. FUNK, b. 06 March 186890; d. 29 May 190690.
More About HENRY A. FUNK:
City Directory: 1890, Pittsburgh City Directory - Henry J. L. Funk mldr listed at 48 South 27th Street
v. JOHANN HEINRICH AUGUST FUNK, b. 22 October 1869, Birmingham, Allegheny, PA91; d. 30 October 1869, Birmingham, Allegheny, PA92.
vi. HEINRICH PETER LEONHARD FUNK, b. 22 October 1869, Birmingham, PA93; d. 15 June 1870, Birmingham, PA.
vii. JOHANN GUSTAVE ADOLPH FUNK, b. 26 November 1870, Birmingham, PA94; d. 29 March 1914, Pittsburgh, PA94.
More About JOHANN GUSTAVE ADOLPH FUNK:
Medical Information: Invalid
viii. AUGUSTA HENRIETTA FUNK, b. 01 June 1873, Birmingham, Allegheny, PA; d. 1945; m. WILLIAM DAUM, 1899.
14. ix. ANN CAROLYN LOUISE FUNK, b. 29 October 1874, South Side, Allegheny, PA; d. 27 November 1951, Brentwood, Allegheny, PA.
x. INFANT FUNK, b. 03 March 1876, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; d. July 1877.
11. EVA ELISABETHA8 ALT (ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 05 July 1844 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel95. She married JOHANNES GUHL.
Child of EVA ALT and JOHANNES GUHL is:
i. MARGARTHA9 ALT, b. 09 January 1865, Brownstone, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
12. MARIE ELIZABETH8 KALMBACHER (MARIA7 AMEND, JOHANNES6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 18 July 1856 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassell96. She married ERNST JOHANNES BOOS. He was born 27 November 1850 in Doernigheim/Main97.
Child of MARIE KALMBACHER and ERNST BOOS is:
15. i. ELISABETH9 BOOS, b. 16 January 1876, Hanau; d. 11 March 1934, Hanau.
13. WILLIAM LANEHART FRED9 FUNK (ANNA ELISABETHA8 ALT, ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 20 July 1865 in South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania98, and died 27 April 1905 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. He married ANNA C. BODE 28 February 1894 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, daughter of FREDERICK BODE and AUGUSTA KUFMAN. She was born 26 October 1869, and died 19 November 1948 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
Notes for WILLIAM LANEHART FRED FUNK:
William made a trip back to the "Old Country" with the Homanns in 1889. He visited Steinau, Dresden, Leipzig, Minden, and other towns including Paris (where it is believed he met a Leonard Alt), Frankfurt (where he met a William Alt). On 18 July 1889, he applied for a passport and received one. The application is on file in the National Archives, (Washington D.C), in 4E3:11:30:2 vol 676 consisting of 1 page. This application contains the following description: Age - 23 yrs, 11 months; stature - 5 feet, 8 inches; forehead- medium; eyes - brown; nose - prominent; mouth - small; chin - oval; hair - brown; complexion - dark; face - oval. States that he was born in Pittsburgh and that he is a barber.
More About WILLIAM LANEHART FRED FUNK:
Fact 2: Barber
More About ANNA C. BODE:
Probate: May 1912, Mentioned in estate of father and as living at time of probate99
Child of WILLIAM FUNK and ANNA BODE is:
16. i. FREDERICK W. L.10 FUNK, b. 23 March 1903, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA; d. 13 January 1970, Hustontown, , PA.
14. ANN CAROLYN LOUISE9 FUNK (ANNA ELISABETHA8 ALT, ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 29 October 1874 in South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania100, and died 27 November 1951 in brentwood, Allegheny, Pennsylvania101. She married WILLIAM AUGUST BODE 18 August 1897 in 2528 Sarah St., Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania102,103, son of FREDERICK BODE and AUGUSTA KUFMAN. He was born 26 May 1877 in Baldwin Township,Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania104,105, and died 11 December 1957 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania106.
More About WILLIAM AUGUST BODE:
Census - 1900: 27th Street, Pittsburgh, PA107
Census - 1910: 16 April 1910, Brownsville, Baldwin Township,Allegheny Co., PA108
Census - 1920: January 1920, Living at Spencer Avenue, Carrick Boro., Allegheny Co., PA109
Executor: May 1912, Named as executor in father's 1901 will and fulfilled that task in May of 1912.110
Occupation: Bet. 1920 - 1929, Land developer in Pittsburgh's Dormont area/Mt Lebanon - Sunset Hills and Parker Gardens
Social Security Number: 07 January 1952, 174-28-6300 - Occupation now ws Printer and living in Harrisburg, PA
Children of ANN FUNK and WILLIAM BODE are:
17. i. HENRIETTA AUGUSTA10 BODE, b. 31 October 1899; d. 07 August 1991, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
ii. WILLIAM A. BODE, b. 17 November 1900; d. June 1901.
18. iii. WILMA ANN BODE, b. 07 November 1905, South Side, Allegheny, PA; d. 08 January 1996, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA.
iv. ROBERT H. BODE, b. 1902; d. 10 September 1974; m. BEATRICE.
v. EMMA CHARLOTTE BODE, b. Aft. 1910; m. FRED USHKARAT.
15. ELISABETH9 BOOS (MARIE ELIZABETH8 KALMBACHER, MARIA7 AMEND, JOHANNES6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 16 January 1876 in Hanau111, and died 11 March 1934 in Hanau. She married OTTO EMIL MATZ. He was born 09 April 1869 in Neufahrwasser111, and died 11 July 1934 in Hanau.
Child of ELISABETH BOOS and OTTO MATZ is:
19. i. ELSE10 MATZ, b. 29 August 1903, Hanau/Main.
Generation No. 10
16. FREDERICK W. L.10 FUNK (WILLIAM LANEHART FRED9, ANNA ELISABETHA8 ALT, ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 23 March 1903 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, and died 13 January 1970 in Hustontown, , Pennsylvania. He married LAVADA ELIZABETH BICKEL 07 May 1930 in New York, New York, daughter of ANDREW DIVAN BICKEL. She was born 09 August 1903 in Ten Mile Bottom, , Pennsylvania, and died 16 November 1990 in Hustontown, , Pennsylvania.
Children of FREDERICK FUNK and LAVADA BICKEL are:
i. BARBARA ANN11 FUNK, m. BARRY IRWIN SOUDERS.
ii. RHEA CHARLENE FUNK, b. 09 September 1932, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA; m. (1) NORMAN WILLIAMSON, 01 November 1958; m. (2) BARNEY SOLOMAN BRAUN, 18 December 1985, Litiz, PA.
iii. FREDERICK DIVAN FUNK, m. BETTY MALLOT.
17. HENRIETTA AUGUSTA10 BODE (ANN CAROLYN LOUISE9 FUNK, ANNA ELISABETHA8 ALT, ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 31 October 1899, and died 07 August 1991 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania112. She married JOHN ROBERT PROCTOR.
Children of HENRIETTA BODE and JOHN PROCTOR are:
i. BETTY JEAN11 PROCTOR, m. GEHR.
ii. AUDREY CLAIRE PROCTOR, m. DAWSON.
iii. JOLYN ROBERTA PROCTOR, m. MINOTTI.
iv. CAROL A. PROCTOR, m. ECKART.
18. WILMA ANN10 BODE (ANN CAROLYN LOUISE9 FUNK, ANNA ELISABETHA8 ALT, ANNA MARGARETHA7 AMEND, JOHANN NICOLAUS6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 07 November 1905 in South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania113, and died 08 January 1996 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania114,115. She married WILLIAM CHARLES KNECHTEL 07 December 1921 in Wellsburg, West Virginia116, son of KARL/CHARLES KNECHTEL and BERTHA NUENEMANN. He was born 19 July 1904 in Squirrel Hill, , Pennsylvania117, and died 01 November 1987 in Fenks Township, Forest County, Pennsylvania118,119.
More About WILMA ANN BODE:
Burial: 12 January 1996, Buried
Children of WILMA BODE and WILLIAM KNECHTEL are:
i. BEVERLY CARROLL11 KNECHTEL, b. 04 December 1922, Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania120; d. 22 February 1988, Wheaton, Maryland121; m. CHARLES LESLIE JACKSON, 19 June 1943, Emmanuel Lutheran, Castle Shannon, PA121; d. 25 March 1988, Bethesda, Maryland.
ii. SHIRELY BERTHA KNECHTEL/CHARLOTTE WILMA KNECHTEL, b. 11 August 1924, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania122; d. 02 April 1925, P.O. Carrick, Allegheny Co., PA123,124.
More About SHIRELY BERTHA KNECHTEL/CHARLOTTE WILMA KNECHTEL:
Burial: St. Pauls Cemetery Lafferty Hills
iii. WILLIAM CHARLES KNECHTEL, b. 08 May 1926, Baldwin Township, Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania125,126,127; m. DOROTHY BARBARA LORENZ, 01 September 1946, Castle Shannon, , Pennsylvania128,129; b. 12 December 1926, Castle Shannon, Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania130.
Notes for WILLIAM CHARLES KNECHTEL:
Baptism: 17 October 1926, Mount Lebanon Presbyterian Church131
Education-Hs: 1944, Dormont High School, Pittsburgh - enlisted in October of his Senior year.
Education - College: 26 January 1951, Penn. State - Forester
More About DOROTHY BARBARA LORENZ:
Education-Graduate School: 21 August 1964, Western Washington University - Master of Education.
Education-Hs: 1944, Mt. Lebanon High School, Pittsburgh - received a scholarship from the South Hills College Club
Education - College: 12 June 1959, Eastern Oregon College - Bachelors of Science in Education - Magna Cum Laude.
iv. HAROLD ROBERT KNECHTEL, b. 05 June 1930132; m. JANET STRACHAN, 23 April 1952132; b. 19 March 1932.
19. ELSE10 MATZ (ELISABETH9 BOOS, MARIE ELIZABETH8 KALMBACHER, MARIA7 AMEND, JOHANNES6, JOHANN PETER5, ANNA MARIA4 HERCHENROEDER, JOHANN LUDWIG3, JOHANN NICOLAS2, JOHANN1) was born 29 August 1903 in Hanau/Main. She married KONRAD FRIEDERICH MERZ. He was born 14 March 1902 in Hanau/Main133, and died 11 January 1964 in Hanau.
Child of ELSE MATZ and KONRAD MERZ is:
i. JOHANNES HELMUT11 MERZ, b. 21 April 1921, Radolfzeil133.
1. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 26.04.1707 Johannes Herchenroeder, beinahe 80 Jahre alt, begraben den 29. (*1627).
2. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 1 Steinau Protokollbuch, 15.06.1659 seine Hausfrau und ihre Schwieger; 07.09.1659; 15.06.1659 seine Mutter; 01.03.1665; 01.03.1665 seine Mutter und Weib; 03.10.1666 seine Frau u. Mutter; 06.12.1668 seine Schwieger und Hasfrau; 03.11.1669 und sein Weib; 10.01.1669 die alte Stoergen; 13.06.1671 Johannes Herchenroethers Mutter vulgo die alte Stoergen; 19.11.1671 seine hausfrau und ihr Sohn Leonhardt Lauch (ihre 2 Ehe?); 14.04.1672 Herchenroeders Witwe; 03.09.1679; 12.10.1679; 21.12.1679.
3. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, +18.09.1735 verstarb Johannes Hercenroeder, seines Alters 74 Jahre, 4 Monate und wurde den 20 christlich begraben (*1661).
4. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 26.02.1691 Johannes Hercenroeder, Johannes Hercenroeders ehelicher Sohn und Jungfrau Margaretha, Hans Hildenbrandts seelig eheliche Tochter.
5. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 07/08.1694 Johann Joerg Herchenroeder, Johannes Herchenroeders ehelicher Sohn und Jungfrau Anna Maria, Caspar Lotz, Mitnachbars zu Seidenrothe eheliche Tochter.
6. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 02.02.1737 verstarb Herr Nicolaus Herchenroeder, Kirchenaelterster hierselbts, seines Alters 73 Jahre, 10 Tage und wurde den 3 christlich begraben.
7. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 23.01.1690 Niclass Herchenroder, Johannes Herchenroeders ehelicher Sohn und Jungfra Catharina, Henrich Klaehrs eheliche Tochter eheliche copuliert worden.
8. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 11.08.1746 verstarb weyland des gewesenen Kirchenaeltesten Johann Nicolaus Hercenroeders nachgelassene Wittib Anna Catharina, des Alters 86 Jahre und 1 Tag und wurde den 12. Christlich begraben (10.08.1660).
9. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *07.08.1692 Johann Caspar. Niclaus Herchenroeder ein Soehnlein. Gevatter Mathess Lauchs Sohn.
10. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 21.10.1699 Johann Ludwig Niklas Herchenroeder und Cathrina, Ehefrau, einen Sohn geboren. Gevatter. Meister Ludwig Gersting.
11. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 11.07.1751 abends 6 h verstarb Ludwig Herchenroeder, seines Alters ungefaehr 52 Jahre und wurde den 13. christlich begraben.
12. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, % 02.09.1723 Johann Ludwig Hercenroeder, des ehrbaren Nicolas Hercehnroeder, Metzger und Beuerger allhier ehelicher Sohn und Jungfrau Maria Eliesabetha, des wayland ehrbaren Conrad Muellers, Metzger und Buerger allhier nachgelassene Tochter.
13. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *07.04.1701 Maria Elisabeth. Conrad Mueller, der Juengere und Ehefrau Anna Maria eine Tochter geboren. Gevatterin Johann Adam Moellers eheliche Hausfrau Maria Elisabeth.
14. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 14.12.1769 nachts gegen 10 h verstarb Maria Elisabetha geb. Muellerin, weyland Ludwig Herchenroeders Wittib, alt 68 Jahre und wurde den 17. christlich begraben.
15. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 16.12.1724 Johann Nicolas, + 04.02.1748. Johann Ludwig Hercenroeder und Maria Eliesabetha, Ehefrau, ein Sohn geboren, getauft den 17. Gevatter ist sein Vater Johann Nicolas Herchenroeder. Des Kindes Taufname is Johan Nicolaus.
16. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 27.08.1728 Anna Eliesabetha. Johann Ludwig Herchenroeder und Maria Eliesabetha, Ehefrau, eine Tochter geboren, getauft den 29. Gevatterin ist Anna Eliesabetha, Johann Caspar Herchernroeders Ehefrau. Das Kind heisst Anna Eliesabetha.
17. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 21.04.1730 Johannes Adam. Johann Ludwig Herchenroeder, ein Metzger von hier und dessen eheliche Hausfrau Maria Elisabetha einen Sohn zur Welt geboren und den 23. der Heiligen Taufe uebergeben. Der Gevatter ist Johann Adam Spang. Des Kiindes Namen heisset Johannes Adam.
18. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 02.04.1732 Johann Philipps. Johann Ludwig Herchenroeder und Maria Elisabetha, Ehefrau einen Sohn erzielet, so den 6. getauft worden. Gevatter ist Johann Philipps Lauch und Ehefrau Anna Margaretha.
19. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 07.08.1726 Anna Maria. Johann Ludwig Herchenroeder und Maria Eliesabetha, Ehefrau, eine Tochter geboren, getauft den 8. Gevatter ist Anna Maria, Johann Peter Romeusers Ehefrau. Der Name is Anna Maria.
20. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 11.04.1795 starb abends gegen 10 h Johannes Amends Ehefrau Anna Maria geb. Herchenroeder und wurde den 14. begraben, ihres Alters 71 Jahre.
21. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, %07.03.1747 Johannes Amend, Buerger und Schreiner hierselbst, Herrn Burgermeister Amend von hier ehelicher Sohn und Anna Maria, Meister Johann Ludwig Hercenroeders, Buerger und Metzger von hier eheliche Tochter.
22. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 05.12.1801 nachmittags 2 h starb der Schreinermeister Johannes Amend, 82 Jahre, 6 monate, 12 tage.
23. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 09.05.1749 Johann Adam. Abends gegen 9 h hat Johannes Amenden eheliche Hausfray Anna Maria eine Sohn geboren, so den 11. getauft worden. Gevatter war der Schwager Johann Adam, Johann Ludwig Hercenroeders ehelicher Sohn. Des Kindes Name is Johann Adam.
24. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *01.09.1753 Eva Catharina. Abends gegen 5 h hat Miester Johannes Amenden eheliche Haustrau Anna Maria eine Tochter geobren, so den 4. getauft worden. Gevatterin war der Schwester Tochter vom Vater, Eva Catharina weyland Johan Philipp Schmidts nachgelassene Tochter. Des Kindes Name is Eva Catharina.
25. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 22.08.1755 Johann Nicolaus. Nachts gegen 10 h des Schreinermeisters Johannes Amdende eheliche Hausfrau Anna Maria einen Sohn geboren, so den 31. getauft worden. Gevatter war Nicolaus Romeusser, Wagner hierselbst und Anna catharina, Ehefrau. Des kindes Name is Johann Nicoalus.
26. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *25.04.1757 Anna Maria. Morgens gegen 6 h hat des Schreinermeisters Johannes Amenden eheliche Hasufrau Anna Maria eine Tochter geboren, so den 26. getauft worden. Gevatter war der Bruder Johann Peter Amenden und seine eheliche Frau Anna Maria.
27. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 16.06.1758 Anthon. Nachts gegen 9 h hat des Schreinermeisters Johannes Amenden eheliche Hausfrau Anna Maria einen Sohn geboren, so den 18 getauft worden. Gevatter war Meister Anthon Amend und Ehefrau Anna Dorothea. Des Kindes Name is Anthon.
28. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *09.01.1761 Conrad Bernhard. Morgen 7 h hat des Schreinermeisters Johannes Amenden eheliche Hausfrau Anna Maria einen Sohn geboren, so den 11. getauft worden. Gevatter war Johann Peter Broellens ehelicher Sohn Conrad Bernhard.
29. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *08.07.1763 Johannes. Mittags gegen 12 h. hat des Schreinermeisters Johannes Amenden eheliche hausfra Anna Maria geb. Hercernroeder einen Sohn geboren, so den 10. getauft worden. Gevatter war Johannes Schemidt und Ehefrau Anna Margaretha. Des Kindes Name is Johannes.
30. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *05.01.1765 Johann Wilhelm. Morgens gegen 6 h hat des Schreinermeisters Johannes Amenden eheliche Hausfrau Anna Maria geb. Hercehnroeder einen Sohn geboren, so den 6. getauft worden. Gevatter war Johan Wilhelm Herchenroederund Ehefrau Eva Elisabetha. Des Kindes Name is Johann Wilhelm.
31. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 31.07.1767 Johann Conrad. Morgens gegen 2 h hat des Schreinermeisters Johann Amdende eheliche Hasufrau Anna Maria geb. Herchenroederin eine Sohn geboren , so 2 August getauft worden. Gevatter war Johann Conrad Romeusser und Ehefrau Anna Catharina. Des Kindes Name is Johann Conrad.
32. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 08.04.1769 Maria Elisabetha. Abends gegen 10 h. hat des Schreinermeisters Johannes Amend eheliche Hausfrau Anna Maria Geb. Herchenroeder eine Tochter geborenb, so den 11 getafut worden. Gevatterin war weiland Johann Adam Hercehenroeders eheliche Tochter Maria Elisabetha.
33. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *28.01.1751 Johann Peter. Nachts 11 hat Meister Johann Amenden eheliche Hausfrau Ann Maria geb. Herchenroeder eine Sohn geboren, so den 31 getauft worden. Gevatter war des Vaters Bruder Johann Peter Amend und Anana Maria, Ehefrau. Des Kindes Namen ist Johann Peter.
34. Church, +28.11.1732 9sic0 Johann Peter Amend, Buerger und Schreiner, des Johannes Amends, Buerger und Schreiner, nachgelassener ehelicher Sohn, geb. 28.01.1751, Alter 81 Jahre, 10 Monat, + morgens 4 h, begraben am 02.12. Mittags 1 hu. Muehlsgasse 248.
35. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, % 21.07.1779 ist Johann Peter Amend, des hiesigen Schreinermeisters Johannes Amend ehelicher Sohn und Catharina Elisabetha, des Schniedermeisters Nicolaus Klaehle ehelicher Tochter copuliert worden.
36. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 21.08.1750 Catharina Elisbaeth. Abends gegn 8 h. Herrn Nicolaus Klelen eheliche Hausfrau Anna Magdalaina geb. Kehm eine Tochter geboren, so den 23. getauft worden. Gevatterin war des Vaters Schwester Anna Catharina, weyland Nicolaus Klelen nachgelassene ehelich Tochter. Des Kindes Name is Catharina Elisabeth.
37. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, +01.04.1815 Catharina Elisabetha, des Joh. Peter Amend, Buerger und Schreinermeister dahier in der Nacht gegen 12 h verstorbene Ehefrau geb. Klaerle, so den 3 begraben worden. Alt 64 Jahr, 7 Monat.
38. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *09.10.1783 Johann Nicolaus. Mittags gegen 1 h Johann Peter Amends Ehefrau Catharina Elisabetha geb. Kalerle eine sohn geboren, so den 12 getauft worden. Der gevattter war der Grosvater Johan Nicolaus Klarle und seine Frau Magdalena. Des Kindes Name ist Johann Nicolaus.
39. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 05.07.1847 Steinau, Brueckengasse 131: Johann Nicolaus Amend, Buerger und Schreiner, ehelicher Sohn des weiland Peter Amend, geb. Steinau 09.10.1783, alt 63 Jahre 9 Monate; gestorben vormittages 10 uhr, begraben 7. Entkraeftung..
40. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, % 25.04.1811 Steinau: Johann Nicolaus Amend, Buerger und. Schreinermeister, ein Witwer, des Burgers und Schreinermeisters Peter Amend ehelicher Sohn mit Maria Elisabetha, des allhiesigen Buergers und Haefnermesiters (potters) Euler eheliche Tochter.
41. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *.04.04.1780 Stienau: Maria Elisabetha. Hat morgens zwischen 9 und 10 Uhr Johannes Eulers Ehefrau Anna Maria geb. Euler ein Maegdlein geboren, so den 6. getauft worden. Die Patin war Nikolaus Frischkorns Ehefrau Maria Elisabetha geb. Euler. Des Kindes Name is Maria Elisabetha.
42. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, + 15.01.1821 Steinau: Maria Elisabetha, des Nicolaus Amend, Buerger und. Schreinermeister dahier eheliche Hausfrau, geb. Euler. Gestorben morgens um 5 Uhr, alt etliche 40 Jahre.
43. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 29.06.1780 Johannes. Den 29. Juni hat abends gegn 8 h Johann Peter Amends Ehefrau Catharina Elisabetha geb. Klaerle ein Sohn geboren, so den 2. Juli getauft worden. Der Gevatter war des Kindes Grossvaters Johannes Amend und wurde genannt Johannes. +21.11.1852.
44. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber.
45. Ancestry of Johannes Helmut Merz.
46. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 04.04.1815 Steinau: Anna Margaretha. Fruehmorgens zwischen 1 und 2 Uhr, des Nicolaus Amend, Buerger und Schreinermesiter dahier und Ehefrau Maria Elisabetha geb. Euler eheliche Tochcter, so den 6. getauft worden. Patin Anna Margaretha, des weyland Nikolaus Hach dahier eheliche hingerlassene Tochter.
47. St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church, Notecard Index, AltMrs. Marg.Died June 10, 1881Buried June 12, 1881Age 66/2/6St. Paul's Cemetary.
48. Pittsburgh Gazette, 11 June 1881, Alt - On Friday morning, June 10, 1880, at 10 o'clock, Mrs. Margaret Alt, wife of Leonard Alt, aged 66 years, 2 months and 8 days. Friends of the family are respectfully invted to attend the funeral from the residence of her husband, S.S [South Side area of Pittsburrgh] on Sunday, June 12, at 2 p.m.
49. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 14.09.1838 Steinau: Leonhard Alt, Buerger und Schuhmacher, Sohn des Nicolaus Alt (tot?), ist 28 Jahre alt, evangelischer Konfession und wohnt in Steinau; Margaretha Amend, ehelich tochter des Nicolaus Amend, ist 23 Jahre lat, evangelischer Konfession und Wohnt in Steinau. Ohne Proklamation, weil sie schon ein Kind haben. Trauung in der Reinhardskirche. Zeugen der Gloeckner Gelhaar und seine Frau.
50. Civil Register of Marriages of Steinau, FHC No. 860124 - No. 44 on page 1, Concluded in Steinau on the 4th of August, 1838 Civil Marriage that denotes that Leonhard owns property . Also shows that he was discharged from the service on 19 April 1836.
51. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 04.08.1810 Steinau (Luth.): Leonhard. Nikolaus Alt, hiesiger Buerger und Schumachermeister und dessen heleiche Hausfrau Anna Margaretha geb. schwedner liessen einen jungen Sohn zur heilegen taufe bringen (5.) und von seinem Taufzeugen Leonhard Schwedner, der Mutter Bruder den Namen Leonhard empfing.
52. St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church, Notecard index, Alt, Leonharddied May 19, 1884Buried May 22, 1884Age 73, 9, 15St. Pauls CememtaryFol. III, page 318, Number 36..
53. Obituary, Pittsburgh Gazette, 20 May 1884, Copies obtained from Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, 440 Forbes Avenue, 15213ALT - On Monday, May 19, at 1:45 p.m., LEONARD ALT, aged 73 years 9 months 15 days. Funeral from the residence of his son-in-law, Henry F. Vegeler, No. 69 Twenty-seventh Street, South Side, Thursday at 1:30 p.m. Friends of the family respectfully invited to attend.
54. 1870 Census, Pg. 27, Crimily Borough, Allegheny Co., PA, Dwelling 142, Family 202, Alt Lenhardt, age 60, W, M, Farmer, real estate valued at $3,000, born in Hesse, parents of foreign birth, citizen.Listed with wife, Margaret Alt, age 55, W, F, Keeping H. born in Hesse, parents of foreign birth.Children listed are Margaret age 15, and Mary age 13.Another family, Evans, Martain, age 33, glass blower born in PA, his wife Margaret age 31 born in Germany and their two children, Fannie age 4, and Mary age 2 are listed in the same building.
55. Census - 1880, Allegheny Co., PA - SD 9, ED 153, pg. 16, #14, Alts living next door to the Funks - August and Annie.
56. Petition for Naturalization, U.S. West. Dist. Court for PA.31st of May 1855renounces allegiance to Elector of Hessen Cassel.
57. Germans to America by Glazier & Filby, Vol 2, Ship the Sara, From Bremen to Baltimore arriving on 24 May 1852 is Leonhard ALt age 42 a shoemaker from Kurhessen going to Pennsylvania with wife Margaret, daughters Elisabeth and Anna.
58. Hessische Auswanderer - HESAUS, Archivschule Marburg, Institut Fuer Archivwissenschaft von Inge AuerbachAlt Bernhard frau d. bernhard tochter d. bernhard tochter d. bernhard these found on document 1a, 23,154alt, leonhard frau d. leonhard these found on document 1a, 23,272copies of these source documents should be now available. Both families out of Steinau, district of Schluechtern, left for America in 1852.
59. Civil Register of Marriages of Steinau, See information associated with marriage.
60. Soldier List, FHC #0860394, Entry No. 5218 is Leonhard Alt - description and service record.
61. Muster Book, FHC Film No. 0896497, Muster Buck of Sept 1831 book page number 13, 15, 19He was No. 15 of the 2 Gleid of the 2nd Companie.
62. Grundzins Calaster den Stadt Seinau, Registery of the property owners and taxes of Steinau, Archives at Marburg for the State of Hesse. Willihem Alt's property owned by Leonhard Alt. and the taxes were paid..
63. Extract by Clem Schreiber, *07.02.1837 Steinauy: Nicolaus (unehelich). Brueckengasse. Morgens 9 uhr. Taufe 12.02 Reinhardskirche. Eltern: Der sich selbst bekannte Vater is Leonhard Alt, ein Schumacher. die Mutter Margretha Amend. Paten Nicolaus Alt in Steinau. + 11.06.1843. Vorbennate Eltern sind den 14.09 1838 kopuliert.
64. 1870 Census, Pg. 27, P.O. Surgeons Hall, Crimily Borough, Allegheny Co., PA, Listed with Alt Lenhart at line 19 on that page.
65. Obituary, Pittsburgh Gazette, Obituary of Leonard Alt - 20 May 1884 -On Monday, May 19, at 1:45 p.m., LEONARD ALT, aged 73 years, 9 months 15 days. Funeral from the residence of his son-in-law, Henry F. Vegeler, No 69 27th Street, South Side, Thursday at 1:30 p.m. Friends of the amily respectfully invited to attend.
66. Obituary of Anna Alt Funk, Within the obituary it states that Anna Funk was the "Sister of Mrs. Margaret Vegeler."
67. Ancestry of Johannes Helmut Merz, Information is based upon the church extracts undertaken by Clem Schreiber.
68. Ancestry of Johannes Helmut Merz.
69. Extract of Church Records of Reinhardskirche - Steinau a.d. Strasse - by Clem Schreiber of Schluechtern
70. Death certificate - registration distric 119, Primary Registration Dist. 3567, File no. 4307 - Allegheny County, PA
71. Obituary of Anna Alt Funk, Funk - On Thursday, Jan 12., 1928 at 6:50 p.m., Anna Alt Funk, widow of August Funk, aged 85 years. Mother of Mrs. Anna C.L. Bodeand Mrs. Mollie H. Daum. Sister of Mrs Margaret Vegeler. Also survived by 6 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. Services Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at the residence of her dauther, Mrs. William Daum. 337 Sunset Drive, corner of Castle Shannon rd., Mt. Lebanon via car No. 38 to end of line. Friends of the family and members of the Smithfield German Evangelical Protestant Church, Fredericka Rebekah Lodge No. 201, IOOF, and Women's Relief Corps of Grand Army of the Republic are respectfully invited. Intermentin South Side Cemetary. Fredericka Rebekah Lodge services Saturday evening at 8 o'clock.
72. Entry in Church Book now in possession of Good Shepards Lutheran Church, No. 8 - Married on 28 July 1860 Johann Heinrich August Funk from Westfalen with Anna Alt from (Ku"r)hessen. Witnesses were Leonhard Alt and Friedrich Albrecht.
73. Marriage Entry, St. Paul's Evangelical Church - Actual register.
74. Death - Mourning Card, August Funk, our dear father, born Jan. 3, 1837; died June 9, 1900, aged 63 years, 6 months, and 6 days.
75. Baptismal Records of the Kirchengemeinden of Minden, (Letter of Johann Melzer dated 27 October 1999 - 12 pages copied from microfilm. Searched 1825-1855 this is all they found.), Church of St. Martini - 1837, Johann Heinrich August - baptised 15 January 1837.
76. Church Record of Birmingham United Church of Christ - Archives of Industrial Society Pittsburgh - AIS Microfilm 77:302, pts 1-7Death certificates -Allegheny Co., PA - Vol 99, pg 486
77. Obituary of August Funk, Funk - On Saturday, June 9, 1900, at 10:15 a.m. , August Funk, husband of Anna Funk (nee Alt), aged 63 years, 6 months, 6 days.Funeral services Monday, June 11, at 2 p.m., at his late residence, No. 46 Twenty-seventh Street, Southside, Pittsburgh, Pa. Friends of the family and members of Peter Futs Lodge No. 486, IOOF, Friedericka Rebekah Degree Lodge No. 201, IOOF,; Schillers Glocke, Union Veteran Legion; Company K, Seventy-Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, are respectfully invited to attend.
78. Registry of Deaths - Pittsburgh, 1905, Vol. 99, Pg. 486, Age 63 yrs, 6 months, 6 daysDied of cancer of the stomach which he had for 1 yearFather was Bernhard FunkHad lived at 46th 27th street for 14 years and previous residence was 2627 Jane both in the 25th Ward.
79. South Side Cemetery Map, Obtained from visit by William Charles Knechtel, 1404 Brownsville RoadPittsburgh, PA 15210Section B.
80. 1860 Census, Birmingham Burough, Allegheny County, PA, pg 109, Augustus Funk is listed in what appears to be a boarding house. The entire list of boarders is given a birthplace of PA via the use of "".
81. 1870 Census, P.O. Surgeons Hall, Crimily Borough, Allegheny County, PA - Pg 27., Dwelling 143, Family 204, Funk August, 33 yrs, m, w, Boiler in ?, $1,200 in real estate, born in Prussia, parents of foreign birth, citizen.Listed with wife, Anna, 28, w, f, keeping house, born in Prussia ("), parents of foreign birth.Children listed are Henry age 2, Lenhart 8 months.The Alts are the dwelling immediately above.
82. 1880 Census, Pg. 16, Dist. 9, E.D. 153, Lines 36-42 lists family which is living at Harcamas Alley. The Alts live two doors down.
83. Ruth Creech - May 2001, Transcription of Selected Records of the German Evangelical Church of Birmingham, "Electronic," Selected membership lists from the German Evangelical Church of Birmingham - now Birmingham United Church of ChristTaken from: Microfilm 77:30 b Pt 1 found at the AIS in 1990 which I have recently transcribed. AIS is now located in Pitt's Archives Service Center (ASC) at 400 N. Lexington Ave, which is about 2 blocks to the left off Penn Avenue in Point Breeze, on your way from East Liberty towards Wilkinsburg; very definitely in the East End of Pgh.At that time, I copied selected pages of interest to me. I do not have a complete copy of all pages on the microfilm. I wish I did. I thought some of these lists would be helpful to others in their research.The lists are as follows:a) Pastor Gustav Lorch prepared a list of early church members when he prepared his booklet commemorating the church's 50th anniversary in 1896.b) His booklet also contained a list of all members in good standing as of 1896.c) I also copied 2 pages of signatures which I have tried to decipher (no date indicated on the copy but my notes indicated they may be "early members")d) In addition, there were several typewritten lists contained on this microfilm. I have no idea who compiled these lists or when. I would use this lists (including my transcriptions) with caution as they were translated from German script and may have errors. I would always refer to the original microfilmed copy at AIS for any needed clarification. These lists also contain sporadic instances of anglicized spellings for some names (ie. "Jakob" to "Jacob," "Johann" to "John," etc.)In addition, there is quite a bit of duplication in these lists. I have included all entries, as written, so no names would be left out. I hope you will find these transcriptions helpful. Transcribed May 2001 by Ruth Creech email@example.com .
84. Record of Burial Place of Veteran, Allegheny County, Funk August dob 1-3-1842 dod 6-9-1900Veteran of Civil War served in the ArmyEnl. 9-3-1861; Dis. 10 -?- 1864 in Co. K. 74th Pa Inf, Corp.Cemetary or Place of Interment Southside #31, Brownsville Rd. S.S. Pgh. PASection No. B 13 Range 22 Headstone is granite with G.A.R. MarkerMember G.A.R. Post 151.
85. Civil War Pension Index, Invalid Pension - 9 Jul 1890 - #587579Widower's Pension - 19 Jun 1900 - #510595.
86. 1890 Veterans Census, SD 9; ED 125; 4th Precinct; 25th Ward, Corporal with Co. K - 74th PA Volunteer Infantry; Enlisted 3 Sep 1861 - Discharged 17 Oct 1864 - length of service 3 years, 1 month, 14 days. Residing at 48 South 27th Street.
87. Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Directories 1888-1892, Ancestry.com's listing of city directories for 1888-1892Lists August Funk as living at 48 South Twenty Seventh Pittsburgh, PA in 1890 and occupation as wholesaler of liquors.
88. Will of August Funk, Vol 63, Page 197, No. 91, Office of the Register of WillsAllegheny County, PennsylvaniaWill was signed and witnessed on the 24th of April 1881. Witnesses were August Flach and Henry F. Vegeler. When the will is presented in 1900 both witnesses are deceased - William Funk and AH Sunshine attest to signature of August Flach while Anna and Margaret Vegeler attest to Margarets husband's signature.
89. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh, Elizebeth FunkBorn May 3, 1861died Feb 13, 1863.
90. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh.
91. Birmingham United Church of Christ, Archives of Industrial Society - AIS Micro 77:30a Reels 1-7, Funk, Johann Heinrich August 22 Oct 1869Sponsors - Heinrich Gelzenleuchter Barbara Scheidemantel Margaretha Alt.
92. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh, August FunkBorn Oct 22 1869died Oct 30 1869.
93. Birmingham United Church of Christ, AIS Micro 77:30a Reels 1-7, #42-43 - 1869 Baptismal EntriesHeinrich Peter Leonhard born 22 Oct 1869 died 19 Jun 1870, 7 pm.Sponsors: Leonhard Alt Peter Scheidemantel Helen Gelzenleuchter.
94. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh.
95. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *05.07.1844 Steinau: Elisabetha. Patin Elisabetha Alt aus Steinau.
96. Ancestry of Johannes Helmut Merz, Kalmbacher, Marie Eliz 18/7/1856 Steinau a.d. Str. ???
97. Ancestry of Johannes Helmut Merz.
98. Passport application, 18 Jul 1889 - No. 8111.
99. Estate of Frederick Bode.
100. Affidavit of Applicant for Marriage License, States: That Annie C.L. Funk was born in Pittsburg Pa. on the 29th day of October 1874, that she is now of the full age of 22 years, that she resides at #48 27th Street, S.S., Pgh. Pa. that she has not been married before.
101. Death Certificate, Usual residence was Butler County in Harrisville. Born 29 Oct 1874.
102. e-mail of Helen, Annie C.L. Funk( born October 29,1874 in Pittsburgh residing at 48 27thSt.) married Wm A Bode (born May 26 1876 in Allegheny County andresiding at 2528 Sarah St. Birmingham ,Now South Side on Aug 18, 1897.Rev J C Kunzmann presiding. William's occcupation is listed as millworker The number you need to get the actual marriage record is C12407 Volume 42 page 136. It may or may not have additionalinformation. If you want the address email me. HELEN L> Thisinformation is from Carniege Library..
103. Affidavit of Applicant for Marriage License, Number 12407, Series C. Register of Wills, Clerk of Orphans' Court, Court of Common Pleas, Pittsburgh, PA, J.C. Kunzman, Minister of the Ev.Luth. Church, certified that he married Wm. A. Bode and Annie C. L. Funk at Bode's Residence in Pittsburgh's "S.S." (south side) on 18 August 1897. The marriage application obtained by Wm. A. Bode states that he was born in Allegheny Co., PA on the 26th of May 1876 and being 21 he resides at 2528 Sarah Street, S.S., Pg., PA. He is a mill worker, not related to Annie by blood, nor married before. She was born on the 29th of October 1874 and was 22 years old and resided at #48 27th St. South Side, Pgh, PA and that she had not been married before. The application was obtained on the 6th of August 1897. A sum of 50 cents was paid for the license.
104. Death Certificate - PA, Gives birth date.
105. Affidavit of Applicant for Marriage License, "... that he was born in Allegheny Co., Pa on the 26th day of May 1876, that he is now of the full age of 21 years, that he resides at 2528 Sarah St, S.S., Pgh. Pa that he is by occupation mill worker that he is not related by blood or marriage to the person who he is about to marry. That he has not been married before.
106. Certificate of Death - Pennsylvania, File No. 108581, Registered No. 1134, Date of Death Dec 11, 1957Social Security No. 174-28-030*Occupation Printer.
107. 12th Census - 1900, Vol 14, ED 282, Sht 10 - Allegheny Co., Pittsburgh, PA, Living two doors away from August Funk and works at Bass Mill.
108. 1910 Census, SD 23, ED 9, Sheet 1, Line of Visit 16, Line # 94.
109. SD 24, ED 56, Sheet 16B Lines 79-84, Children are Hennrietta, Robert, Wilma and EmmaOccupation real estate agentBoth parents born in Hessen, Germany.
110. Estate of Frederick Bode.
111. Ancestry of Johannes Helmut Merz.
112. Phone Call by Harold Knechtel to Dorothy Knechtel, 7 Aug 1991Pittsburgh, PA.
113. Baby Book of Jon Byron Knechtel.
114. Phone Call from Dorothy Knechtel.
115. Obituary, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Jan 10 1996, Wilma A. Knechtel of Dormont, on Mond. Jan 8, 1996; wife of the late William C. Knechtel; mother of William C. Knechtel, Jr., Harold R. Knechtel and the late Beverly C. Jackson, sister of Emma Ushkarat, also survived by seven grand, 15 great grand, and six great great granchildren. Friends may call at Laughlin Funeral Home, Ltd., 222 Washington Rd., Mt. Lebanon on Weds. 7-9 p.m. Service in the Funderal Home Chapel on Fri at 11 a.m. Memorials may be made to the Handicapped Accessibility Fund, c/o Mt. Lebanon United Methodist Church, 3319 Liberty Ave., Pgh., PA 15216.
116. Interview with Wilma Knechtel.
117. Baby Book of Jon Byron Knechtel.
118. Certificate of Death - Pennsylvania, No. 2223051, dated Feb 14, 1992 State File No. 117642Date of birth 7-19-1904 in PA County of Cambria, Johnstowndied in Fenks Twp., Forest CountySocial Security No. 192-10-9380Mrs. William Knechtel (his wife) provided details.
119. Social Security Death Index, William Knechtel, dob 19 Jul 1904m dod Nov 1987, last residence 15216 (Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA), no benefits collected , No. 192-10-9380.
120. Certification of Birth - PA, Date of Birth 12-04-22 (mo. day. year) File No. 2105500-22date filed 12-11-22County of Birth AlleghenySubject: Beverly Carroll KnechtelFathers Name: William C. Knechtel age 18, birthplace, Pittsburgh, PA.Mothers Maiden Name: Wilma Anna Bode age 17, birthplace, Pittsburgh, PA..
121. Notes of Dorothy Knechtel.
122. Certification of Birth - PA, Date of Birth: 08-11-24 (mo. day year) File No. 1280850-24 Date filed 08-16-24County of AlleghenySubject: Charlotte Wilma KnechtelFathers Name William Charles Knechtel age 20 born in AmericaMothers Maiden Name Wilma Bode age 18 born in America.
123. Death Certificate, File No. 56601, Registered No. 73, Here the name is Shirley Knechtel age 7 months 24 days.
124. Tombstone, Shirley B. dau. of Wm & Wilma C. Knechtel Aug 11., 1924, Apr. 2 1925.
125. Discharge Papers - USAA, Date of Birth 8 May 46 born in Pittsburgh, PA.
126. Baptismal Certificate, This certifies that William Charles Knechtel, Jr. son of Mister and Mrs. Wm. C. Knechtel born on on the eighth day of May 1926, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania recceived christian baptism at the Mount Lebanon Presbyterian church on the Seventhenth day of October in the year of our lord 1926 Rev. (unreadable), minister.
127. Notification of Birth Registration - US Dept. of Commerce Bureau of the Census, File No. 73535 State Office for Registration of Vital Statistics at Harrisburg, PA, A record of birth as follows:Name: William Charles Knechtel - sex maleborn on May 8, 1926 at Baldwin Twp, Allegheny Co., PAName of Father William Charles KnechtelName of Mother Wilma Anna Bode.
128. Wedding Invitation, Mr. and Mrs. Leo T. Lorenz request the honor of your presence of the marriage of their daughter Dorothy Barbara to Mr. William C. Knechtel on Sunday, the first day of September ninetenn hundred and forty-six at sen-thirty o'clock p.m. Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Pine Street, Castle Shannon, Penna.
129. Wedding License No. 23941, Series W, I clarence Stadtlander hereby certify that on the First day of September one thousand nine hundred and Forty-six at Castle Shannon, PA William C. Knechtel and Dorothy B. Lorenz were by me United in Marriage in accordance with license issued by the Clerk of the Orphan's Court of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Signed Clarence Stadtlander.
130. Cert. No. 389159 - 24 1942 - Prm Dist No. 1719, File No. 204773, Reg. No. 532.
131. Baptismal Certificate.
132. Notes of Dorothy Knechtel.
133. Ancestry of Johannes Helmut Merz.