Descendants of Leonhard Alt
Generation No. 1
1. LEONHARD5 ALT (JOHANN NIKOLAUS4, JOHANN HENRICH3, BERNHARD2, JOHANNES1) was born 04 August 1810 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel1, and died 19 May 1884 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania2,3. He married ANNA MARGARETHA AMEND 14 September 1838 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel4,5, daughter of JOHANN AMEND and MARIA EULER. She was born 08 April 1815 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel6, and died 10 June 1881 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania7.
More About LEONHARD ALT:
Burial: 22 May 1884, St. Pauls Evangelical Luthern Cemetary
Census - 1870: 04 June 1870, P. O. Surgeons Hall, Crimily (?) Borough, Allegheny Co., PA8
Census - 1880: Harcumases Alley, Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., PA9
Fact 2: 30 May 1855, Declared intent to become citizen - U.S. West. Dist. of Penn.10
Military service: Discharged 19 April 183613,14,15
Property: In Steinau owned property16
More About ANNA MARGARETHA AMEND:
Burial: 12 June 1881, St. Pauls Evangelical Luthern Cemetary
Children of LEONHARD ALT and ANNA AMEND are:
i. NICOLAUS6 ALT17, b. 07 February 1837, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 11 June 1843, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
2. ii. ANNA ELISABETHA ALT, b. 01 May 1842, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel; d. 12 January 1928, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
3. iii. EVA ELISABETHA ALT, b. 05 July 1844, Steinau, Hessen-Kassel.
iv. MARGARET ALT, b. 185518.
v. MARY ALT, b. January 1857, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; d. 03 January 1883, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; m. HENRY ERBE, 22 July 1877, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
Generation No. 2
2. ANNA ELISABETHA6 ALT (LEONHARD5, JOHANN NIKOLAUS4, JOHANN HENRICH3, BERNHARD2, JOHANNES1) was born 01 May 1842 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel19, and died 12 January 1928 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania20,21. She married JOHANN HEINRICH AUGUST FUNK 28 July 1860 in St. Paul's Evng. Luth. Church, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania22, son of JOHANN FUNK and JOHANNE/ANNE BECK. He was born 03 January 1837 in Minden, Westphalia, Prussia23,24,25, and died 09 June 1900 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania26,27,28.
More About ANNA ELISABETHA ALT:
Fraternal Organization: member - Friedericka Rebakah Lodge No. 201, IOOF
Other: Received after August's death a Veteran's Pension
More About JOHANN HEINRICH AUGUST FUNK:
Census - 1860: Augustus Funk, Pg. 109, Allegheny County, Birmingham Burough29
Census - 1870: 04 June 1870, P.O.Surgeons Hall, Allegheny County (Crimily Borough?), Pg 2730
Census - 1880: 03 July 1880, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania31
Fact 4: 30 August 1886, Witness to brother Bernhardt's petition to naturalize
Fraternity Membership: member - Peter Futs Lodge No. 468, IOOF
Military Record: Civil War Vet - 74th Penn Vol Inf32,33,34
Wedding: 28 July 1860, Married - St. Paul's Evangelical Church - lists full name, Westphalen
Children of ANNA ALT and JOHANN FUNK are:
i. ELIZABETH7 FUNK, b. 31 May 186135; d. 13 February 186336.
4. ii. WILLIAM LANEHART FRED FUNK, b. 20 July 1865, South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; d. 27 April 1905, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
iii. HENRY FUNK, b. 16 October 186636; d. 30 October 186736.
iv. HENRY A. FUNK, b. 06 March 186836; d. 29 May 190636.
More About HENRY A. FUNK:
City Directory: 1890, Pittsburgh City Directory - Henry J. L. Funk mldr listed at 48 South 27th Street
v. JOHANN HEINRICH AUGUST FUNK, b. 22 October 1869, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania37; d. 30 October 1869, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania38.
vi. HEINRICH PETER LEONHARD FUNK, b. 22 October 1869, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania39; d. 15 June 1870, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
vii. JOHANN GUSTAVE ADOLPH FUNK, b. 26 November 1870, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania40; d. 29 March 1914, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania40.
More About JOHANN GUSTAVE ADOLPH FUNK:
Medical Information: Invalid
viii. AUGUSTA HENRIETTA FUNK, b. 01 June 1873, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; d. 1945; m. WILLIAM DAUM, 1899.
5. ix. ANN CAROLYN LOUISE FUNK, b. 29 October 1874, South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; d. 27 November 1951, Brintwood, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
x. INFANT FUNK, b. 03 March 1876, Birmingham, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; d. July 1877.
3. EVA ELISABETHA6 ALT (LEONHARD5, JOHANN NIKOLAUS4, JOHANN HENRICH3, BERNHARD2, JOHANNES1) was born 05 July 1844 in Steinau, Hessen-Kassel41. She married JOHANNES GUHL.
Child of EVA ALT and JOHANNES GUHL is:
i. MARGARTHA7 ALT, b. 09 January 1865, Brownstone, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Generation No. 3
4. WILLIAM LANEHART FRED7 FUNK (ANNA ELISABETHA6 ALT, LEONHARD5, JOHANN NIKOLAUS4, JOHANN HENRICH3, BERNHARD2, JOHANNES1) was born 20 July 1865 in South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania42, and died 27 April 1905 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. He married ANNA C. BODE 28 February 1894 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, daughter of FREDERICK BODE and AUGUSTA KUFMAN. She was born 26 October 1869, and died 19 November 1948 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
More About WILLIAM LANEHART FRED FUNK:
Fact 2: Barber
Child of WILLIAM FUNK and ANNA BODE is:
i. FREDERICK W. L.8 FUNK, b. 23 March 1903, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; d. 13 January 1970, Hustontown, , Pennsylvania; m. LAVADA ELIZABETH BICKEL, 07 May 1930, New York, New York; b. 09 August 1903, Ten Mile Bottom, , Pennsylvania; d. 16 November 1990, Hustontown, , Pennsylvania.
5. ANN CAROLYN LOUISE7 FUNK (ANNA ELISABETHA6 ALT, LEONHARD5, JOHANN NIKOLAUS4, JOHANN HENRICH3, BERNHARD2, JOHANNES1) was born 29 October 1874 in South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania43, and died 27 November 1951 in Brintwood, Allegheny, Pennsylvania44. She married WILLIAM AUGUST BODE 18 August 1897 in 2528 Sarah St., Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania45,46, son of FREDERICK BODE and AUGUSTA KUFMAN. He was born 26 May 1877 in Baldwin Township,Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania47,48, and died 11 December 1957 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania49.
More About WILLIAM AUGUST BODE:
Census - 1900: 27th Street, Pittsburgh, PA50
Census - 1910: 16 April 1910, Brownsville, Baldwin Township,Allegheny Co., PA51
Census - 1920: January 1920, Living at Spencer Avenue, Carrick Boro., Allegheny Co., PA52
Occupation: Bet. 1920 - 1929, Land developer in Pittsburgh's Dormont area/Mt Lebanon - Sunset Hills and Parker Gardens
Social Security Number: 07 January 1952, 174-28-6300 - Occupation now ws Printer and living in Harrisburg, PA
Children of ANN FUNK and WILLIAM BODE are:
i. HENRIETTA AUGUSTA8 BODE, b. 31 October 1899; d. 07 August 1991, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania53; m. JOHN ROBERT PROCTOR.
ii. WILLIAM A. BODE, b. 17 November 1900; d. June 1901.
iii. WILMA ANN BODE, b. 07 November 1905, South Side, Allegheny, Pennsylvania54; d. 08 January 1996, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania55,56; m. WILLIAM CHARLES KNECHTEL, 07 December 1921, Wellsburg, West Virginia57; b. 19 July 1904, Squirrel Hill, , Pennsylvania58; d. 01 November 1987, Fenks Township, Forest County, Pennsylvania59,60.
More About WILMA ANN BODE:
Burial: 12 January 1996, Buried
iv. ROBERT H. BODE, b. 1902; d. 10 September 1974; m. BEATRICE.
v. EMMA CHARLOTTE BODE, b. Aft. 1910; m. FRED USHKARAT.
1. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 04.08.1810 Steinau (Luth.): Leonhard. Nikolaus Alt, hiesiger Buerger und Schumachermeister und dessen heleiche Hausfrau Anna Margaretha geb. schwedner liessen einen jungen Sohn zur heilegen taufe bringen (5.) und von seinem Taufzeugen Leonhard Schwedner, der Mutter Bruder den Namen Leonhard empfing.
2. St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church, Notecard index, Alt, Leonharddied May 19, 1884Buried May 22, 1884Age 73, 9, 15St. Pauls CememtaryFol. III, page 318, Number 36..
3. Obituary, Pittsburgh Gazette, 20 May 1884, Copies obtained from Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, 440 Forbes Avenue, 15213ALT - On Monday, May 19, at 1:45 p.m., LEONARD ALT, aged 73 years 9 months 15 days. Funeral from the residence of his son-in-law, Henry F. Vegeler, No. 69 Twenty-seventh Street, South Side, Thursday at 1:30 p.m. Friends of the family respectfully invited to attend.
4. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, 14.09.1838 Steinau: Leonhard Alt, Buerger und Schuhmacher, Sohn des Nicolaus Alt (tot?), ist 28 Jahre alt, evangelischer Konfession und wohnt in Steinau; Margaretha Amend, ehelich tochter des Nicolaus Amend, ist 23 Jahre lat, evangelischer Konfession und Wohnt in Steinau. Ohne Proklamation, weil sie schon ein Kind haben. Trauung in der Reinhardskirche. Zeugen der Gloeckner Gelhaar und seine Frau.
5. Civil Register of Marriages of Steinau, FHC No. 860124 - No. 44 on page 1, Concluded in Steinau on the 4th of August, 1838 Civil Marriage that denotes that Leonhard owns property . Also shows that he was discharged from the service on 19 April 1836.
6. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, * 04.04.1815 Steinau: Anna Margaretha. Fruehmorgens zwischen 1 und 2 Uhr, des Nicolaus Amend, Buerger und Schreinermesiter dahier und Ehefrau Maria Elisabetha geb. Euler eheliche Tochcter, so den 6. getauft worden. Patin Anna Margaretha, des weyland Nikolaus Hach dahier eheliche hingerlassene Tochter.
7. St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church, Notecard Index, AltMrs. Marg.Died June 10, 1881Buried June 12, 1881Age 66/2/6St. Paul's Cemetary.
8. 1870 Census, Pg. 27, Crimily Borough, Allegheny Co., PA, Dwelling 142, Family 202, Alt Lenhardt, age 60, W, M, Farmer, real estate valued at $3,000, born in Hesse, parents of foreign birth, citizen.Listed with wife, Margaret Alt, age 55, W, F, Keeping H. born in Hesse, parents of foreign birth.Children listed are Margaret age 15, and Mary age 13.Another family, Evans, Martain, age 33, glass blower born in PA, his wife Margaret age 31 born in Germany and their two children, Fannie age 4, and Mary age 2 are listed in the same building.
9. Census - 1880, Allegheny Co., PA - SD 9, ED 153, pg. 16, #14, Alts living next door to the Funks - August and Annie.
10. Petition for Naturalization, U.S. West. Dist. Court for PA.31st of May 1855renounces allegiance to Elector of Hessen Cassel.
11. Germans to America by Glazier & Filby, Vol 2, Ship the Sara, From Bremen to Baltimore arriving on 24 May 1852 is Leonhard ALt age 42 a shoemaker from Kurhessen going to Pennsylvania with wife Margaret, daughters Elisabeth and Anna.
12. Hessische Auswanderer - HESAUS, Archivschule Marburg, Institut Fuer Archivwissenschaft von Inge AuerbachAlt Bernhard frau d. bernhard tochter d. bernhard tochter d. bernhard these found on document 1a, 23,154alt, leonhard frau d. leonhard these found on document 1a, 23,272copies of these source documents should be now available. Both families out of Steinau, district of Schluechtern, left for America in 1852.
13. Civil Register of Marriages of Steinau, See information associated with marriage.
14. Soldier List, FHC #0860394, Entry No. 5218 is Leonhard Alt - description and service record.
15. Muster Book, FHC Film No. 0896497, Muster Buck of Sept 1831 book page number 13, 15, 19He was No. 15 of the 2 Gleid of the 2nd Companie.
16. Grundzins Calaster den Stadt Seinau, Registery of the property owners and taxes of Steinau, Archives at Marburg for the State of Hesse. Willihem Alt's property owned by Leonhard Alt. and the taxes were paid..
17. Extract by Clem Schreiber, *07.02.1837 Steinauy: Nicolaus (unehelich). Brueckengasse. Morgens 9 uhr. Taufe 12.02 Reinhardskirche. Eltern: Der sich selbst bekannte Vater is Leonhard Alt, ein Schumacher. die Mutter Margretha Amend. Paten Nicolaus Alt in Steinau. + 11.06.1843. Vorbennate Eltern sind den 14.09 1838 kopuliert.
18. 1870 Census, Pg. 27, P.O. Surgeons Hall, Crimily Borough, Allegheny Co., PA, Listed with Alt Lenhart at line 19 on that page.
19. Extract of Church Records of Reinhardskirche - Steinau a.d. Strasse - by Clem Schreiber of Schluechtern
20. Death certificate - registration distric 119, Primary Registration Dist. 3567, File no. 4307 - Allegheny County, PA
21. Obituary of Anna Alt Funk, Funk - On Thursday, Jan 12., 1928 at 6:50 p.m., Anna Alt Funk, widow of August Funk, aged 85 years. Mother of Mrs. Anna C.L. Bodeand Mrs. Mollie H. Daum. Sister of Mrs Margaret Vegeler. Also survived by 6 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. Services Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at the residence of her dauther, Mrs. William Daum. 337 Sunset Drive, corner of Castle Shannon rd., Mt. Lebanon via car No. 38 to end of line. Friends of the family and members of the Smithfield German Evangelical Protestant Church, Fredericka Rebekah Lodge No. 201, IOOF, and Women's Relief Corps of Grand Army of the Republic are respectfully invited. Intermentin South Side Cemetary. Fredericka Rebekah Lodge services Saturday evening at 8 o'clock.
22. Entry in Church Book now in possession of Good Shepards Lutheran Church, No. 8 - Married on 28 July 1860 Johann Heinrich August Funk from Westfalen with Anna Alt from (Ku"r)hessen. Witnesses were Leonhard Alt and Friedrich Albrecht.
23. Marriage Entry, St. Paul's Evangelical Church - Actual register.
24. Death - Mourning Card, August Funk, our dear father, born Jan. 3, 1837; died June 9, 1900, aged 63 years, 6 months, and 6 days.
25. Baptismal Records of the Kirchengemeinden of Minden, (Letter of Johann Melzer dated 27 October 1999 - 12 pages copied from microfilm. Searched 1825-1855 this is all they found.), Church of St. Martini - 1837, Johann Heinrich August - baptised 15 January 1837.
26. Church Record of Birmingham United Church of Christ - Archives of Industrial Society Pittsburgh - AIS Microfilm 77:302, pts 1-7Death certificates -Allegheny Co., PA - Vol 99, pg 486
27. Obituary of August Funk, Funk - On Saturday, June 9, 1900, at 10:15 a.m. , August Funk, husband of Anna Funk (nee Alt), aged 63 years, 6 months, 6 days.Funeral services Monday, June 11, at 2 p.m., at his late residence, No. 46 Twenty-seventh Street, Southside, Pittsburgh, Pa. Friends of the family and members of Peter Futs Lodge No. 486, IOOF, Friedericka Rebekah Degree Lodge No. 201, IOOF,; Schillers Glocke, Union Veteran Legion; Company K, Seventy-Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, are respectfully invited to attend.
28. Registry of Deaths - Pittsburgh, 1905, Vol. 99, Pg. 486, Age 63 yrs, 6 months, 6 daysDied of cancer of the stomach which he had for 1 yearFather was Bernhard FunkHad lived at 46th 27th street for 14 years and previous residence was 2627 Jane both in the 25th Ward.
29. 1860 Census, Birmingham Burough, Allegheny County, PA, pg 109, Augustus Funk is listed in what appears to be a boarding house. The entire list of boarders is given a birthplace of PA via the use of "".
30. 1870 Census, P.O. Surgeons Hall, Crimily Borough, Allegheny County, PA - Pg 27., Dwelling 143, Family 204, Funk August, 33 yrs, m, w, Boiler in ?, $1,200 in real estate, born in Prussia, parents of foreign birth, citizen.Listed with wife, Anna, 28, w, f, keeping house, born in Prussia ("), parents of foreign birth.Children listed are Henry age 2, Lenhart 8 months.The Alts are the dwelling immediately above.
31. 1880 Census, Pg. 16, Dist. 9, E.D. 153, Lines 36-42 lists family which is living at Harcamas Alley. The Alts live two doors down.
32. Record of Burial Place of Veteran, Allegheny County, Funk August dob 1-3-1842 dod 6-9-1900Veteran of Civil War served in the ArmyEnl. 9-3-1861; Dis. 10 -?- 1864 in Co. K. 74th Pa Inf, Corp.Cemetary or Place of Interment Southside #31, Brownsville Rd. S.S. Pgh. PASection No. B 13 Range 22 Headstone is granite with G.A.R. MarkerMember G.A.R. Post 151.
33. Civil War Pension Index, Invalid Pension - 9 Jul 1890 - #587579Widower's Pension - 19 Jun 1900 - #510595.
34. 1890 Veterans Census, SD 9; ED 125; 4th Precinct; 25th Ward, Corporal with Co. K - 74th PA Volunteer Infantry; Enlisted 3 Sep 1861 - Discharged 17 Oct 1864 - length of service 3 years, 1 month, 14 days. Residing at 48 South 27th Street.
35. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh, Elizebeth FunkBorn May 3, 1861died Feb 13, 1863.
36. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh.
37. Birmingham United Church of Christ, Archives of Industrial Society - AIS Micro 77:30a Reels 1-7, Funk, Johann Heinrich August 22 Oct 1869Sponsors - Heinrich Gelzenleuchter Barbara Scheidemantel Margaretha Alt.
38. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh, August FunkBorn Oct 22 1869died Oct 30 1869.
39. Birmingham United Church of Christ, AIS Micro 77:30a Reels 1-7, #42-43 - 1869 Baptismal EntriesHeinrich Peter Leonhard born 22 Oct 1869 died 19 Jun 1870, 7 pm.Sponsors: Leonhard Alt Peter Scheidemantel Helen Gelzenleuchter.
40. Tombstone in the Southside Cemetary, Pittsburgh.
41. Church extract from Steinau by Clem Schreiber, *05.07.1844 Steinau: Elisabetha. Patin Elisabetha Alt aus Steinau.
42. Passport application, 18 Jul 1889 - No. 8111.
43. Affidavit of Applicant for Marriage License, States: That Annie C.L. Funk was born in Pittsburg Pa. on the 29th day of October 1874, that she is now of the full age of 22 years, that she resides at #48 27th Street, S.S., Pgh. Pa. that she has not been married before.
44. Death Certificate, Usual residence was Butler County in Harrisville. Born 29 Oct 1874.
45. e-mail of Helen, Annie C.L. Funk( born October 29,1874 in Pittsburgh residing at 48 27thSt.) married Wm A Bode (born May 26 1876 in Allegheny County andresiding at 2528 Sarah St. Birmingham ,Now South Side on Aug 18, 1897.Rev J C Kunzmann presiding. William's occcupation is listed as millworker The number you need to get the actual marriage record is C12407 Volume 42 page 136. It may or may not have additionalinformation. If you want the address email me. HELEN L> Thisinformation is from Carniege Library..
46. Affidavit of Applicant for Marriage License, Number 12407, Series C. Register of Wills, Clerk of Orphans' Court, Court of Common Pleas, Pittsburgh, PA, J.C. Kunzman, Minister of the Ev.Luth. Church, certified that he married Wm. A. Bode and Annie C. L. Funk at Bode's Residence in Pittsburgh's "S.S." (south side) on 18 August 1897. The marriage application obtained by Wm. A. Bode states that he was born in Allegheny Co., PA on the 26th of May 1876 and being 21 he resides at 2528 Sarah Street, S.S., Pg., PA. He is a mill worker, not related to Annie by blood, nor married before. She was born on the 29th of October 1874 and was 22 years old and resided at #48 27th St. South Side, Pgh, PA and that she had not been married before. The application was obtained on the 6th of August 1897. A sum of 50 cents was paid for the license.
47. Death Certificate - PA, Gives birth date.
48. Affidavit of Applicant for Marriage License, "... that he was born in Allegheny Co., Pa on the 26th day of May 1876, that he is now of the full age of 21 years, that he resides at 2528 Sarah St, S.S., Pgh. Pa that he is by occupation mill worker that he is not related by blood or marriage to the person who he is about to marry. That he has not been married before.
49. Certificate of Death - Pennsylvania, File No. 108581, Registered No. 1134, Date of Death Dec 11, 1957Social Security No. 174-28-030*Occupation Printer.
50. 12th Census - 1900, Vol 14, ED 282, Sht 10 - Allegheny Co., Pittsburgh, PA, Living two doors away from August Funk and works at Bass Mill.
51. 1910 Census, SD 23, ED 9, Sheet 1, Line of Visit 16, Line # 94.
52. SD 24, ED 56, Sheet 16B Lines 79-84, Children are Hennrietta, Robert, Wilma and EmmaOccupation real estate agentBoth parents born in Hessen, Germany.
53. Phone Call by Harold Knechtel to Dorothy Knechtel, 7 Aug 1991Pittsburgh, PA.
54. Baby Book of Jon Byron Knechtel.
55. Phone call from Dorothy Knechtel.
56. Obituary, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Jan 10 1996, Wilma A. Knechtel of Dormont, on Mond. Jan 8, 1996; wife of the late William C. Knechtel; mother of William C. Knechtel, Jr., Harold R. Knechtel and the late Beverly C. Jackson, sister of Emma Ushkarat, also survived by seven grand, 15 great grand, and six great great granchildren. Friends may call at Laughlin Funeral Home, Ltd., 222 Washington Rd., Mt. Lebanon on Weds. 7-9 p.m. Service in the Funderal Home Chapel on Fri at 11 a.m. Memorials may be made to the Handicapped Accessibility Fund, c/o Mt. Lebanon United Methodist Church, 3319 Liberty Ave., Pgh., PA 15216.
57. Interview with Wilma Knechtel.
58. Baby Book of Jon Byron Knechtel.
59. Certificate of Death - Pennsylvania, No. 2223051, dated Feb 14, 1992 State File No. 117642Date of birth 7-19-1904 in PA County of Cambria, Johnstowndied in Fenks Twp., Forest CountySocial Security No. 192-10-9380Mrs. William Knechtel (his wife) provided details.
60. Social Security Death Index, William Knechtel, dob 19 Jul 1904m dod Nov 1987, last residence 15216 (Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA), no benefits collected , No. 192-10-9380.