Private Charles Langhorst
CHARLES LANGHORST was born in Prussia, Germany, September 4, 1825, and entered the Prussian army at the age of nineteen years, and was discharged from service in 1847. He immigrated from Germany in September, 1847, and located in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, where he followed shoemaking. He remained there until 1866, and then came to Butler county, purchasing a farm in Adams township, of Judge Samuel Marshall, upon which he has since resided. He married Regina, a daughter of William NIEGENGARD, of Allegheny City, to which union twelve children have been born, as follows: William C.; Henry C.; Mary A., who married James LONGHEAD, of Middlesex township; Tillie E., who married Christian OTTO, of Allegheny City; Charles H.; Annie, wife of Benjamin SKILES, of Allegheny City; Agnes; Menie, wife of Berry COOPER, of Adams township; Regina; James E., and two died in infancy. In August, 1861, Mr. LANGHORST enlisted in Company F, Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and participated in the battles of Cross Keys, Freeman's Ford, Sulphur Springs, Waterloo Bridge, Second Bull Run, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Seabrook Island, etc., and was in regimental hospital near Stafford Court House with frozen feet, and again at Long Isle, with rheumatism, contracted from exposure in the service. He was furloughed at Stafford Court House in the spring of 1863, rejoined his command at the same point, and was detailed in the spring of 1864 to make leather cases for carrying shells, which he worked at about six weeks on Mare Island. He was honorably discharged from the service near Washington D. C., September 19, 1864. Mr. LONGHORST is an elder in the Lutheran church, and in politics, he is a Republican.