Night Final Test
1. What town do Eliezer and his family come from?
††††††††††††††† A. Gleiwitz
††††††††††††††† B. Sighet
††††††††††††††† C. Haifa
2. What specifically does Eliezer recruit Moshe the Beadle to teach him?
††††††††††††††† A. The Cabbala
††††††††††††††† B. The Talmud
††††††††††††††† C. The Torah
††††††††††††††† D. The Haftorah
3. What is Eliezerís oldest sisterís name?
††††††††††††††† A. Bea
††††††††††††††† B. Hilda
††††††††††††††† C. Tzipora
††††††††††††††† D. Esther
4. What was the most important thing that Moshe taught Eliezer?
††††††††††††††† A. to always remember his own faults even though those of his persecutors may seem far worse in comparison
††††††††††††††† B. to strive to love God unconditionally
††††††††††††††† C. to try to ask God the right questions, not to try to find the right answers.
5. Moshe was deported from Sighet because he was:
††††††††††††††† A. Jewish
††††††††††††††† B. a foreigner
††††††††††††††† C. homosexual
††††††††††††††† D. a Social Democrat
6. Upon his return to the village, what does Moshe try to do?
††††††††††††††† A. break into Eliezerís home
††††††††††††††† B. spy for the Nazis
††††††††††††††† C. become a Rabbi
††††††††††††††† D. warn the villagers about the Nazi threat
7. What emotion best describes the attitude of the Jewish community in Sighet towards the Germans during the first five years of World War II?
††††††††††††††† A. indifference
††††††††††††††† B. terror
††††††††††††††† C. enthusiasm
††††††††††††††† D. resentment
8. During which Jewish holiday did the German persecution of the Jews in Sighet begin?
††††††††††††††† A. Rosh Hashanah
††††††††††††††† B. Yom Kippur
††††††††††††††† C. Hannukah
††††††††††††††† D. Passover
9. After being evacuated from their original homes, where are the Jews of Sighet first sent?
††††††††††††††† A. to Auschwitz/Birkenau
††††††††††††††† B. to a ghetto within Sighet
††††††††††††††† C. to
††††††††††††††† D. to Buna
10. How did Eliezer learn that the Jews were to be deported?
††††††††††††††† A. German soldiers forcibly drove families out of their homes.
††††††††††††††† B. an official notice was sent to all the families in the community
††††††††††††††† C. he was stopped in the streets by a messenger from
††††††††††††††† D. his father heard from the Jewish Council
11. Which of the following people did NOT try to warn Eliezerís family to try to escape?
††††††††††††††† A. Moshe the Beadle
††††††††††††††† B. a member of the Hungarian police
††††††††††††††† C. an old family servant
††††††††††††††† D. Eliezerís uncle living
12. Where are the Jews forced to wait the entire day before deportation?
††††††††††††††† A. in the jail
††††††††††††††† B. in an alleyway
††††††††††††††† C. in the town hall
††††††††††††††† D. in the synagogue
13. What event initially caused Madame Schachter to lose her mind?
††††††††††††††† A. she was separated from her husband and two sons
††††††††††††††† B. she was beaten by the Germans fro trying to escape deportation by passing as Aryan
††††††††††††††† C. her possessions were confiscated by the Hungarian police
††††††††††††††† D. her mother was shot before her eyes by the Germans
14. On the trains from Sighet, of what does Madame Schachter have visions?
††††††††††††††† A. a gas chamber
††††††††††††††† B. Israel
††††††††††††††† C. a furnace
††††††††††††††† D. Angels of liberation
15. What do several men on the train do when they are unable to endure Madame Schachterís screaming?
††††††††††††††† A. stuff their ears with cotton
††††††††††††††† B. beat her senseless
††††††††††††††† C. jump off the train
††††††††††††††† D. persuade her son to keep her quiet
16. Which concentration camp does Eliezer arrive at first?
††††††††††††††† A. Trelinka
††††††††††††††† B. Buna
††††††††††††††† C. Buchenwald
††††††††††††††† D. Auschwitz/Birkenau
17. From whom is Eliezer separated at the concentration camp?
††††††††††††††† A. his mother and sisters
††††††††††††††† B. his father
††††††††††††††† C. both his parents
††††††††††††††† D. his entire family
18. During his first selection at the concentration camp, what do Eliezer and his father, respectively, pretend their ages are?
††††††††††††††† A. fifteen and fifty
††††††††††††††† B. fifteen and forty
††††††††††††††† C. eighteen and forty
††††††††††††††† D. eighteen and fifty
19. Who is the infamous Nazi doctor presiding over the selection process at the camp?
††††††††††††††† A. Dr. Mengele
††††††††††††††† B. Adolf Hitler
††††††††††††††† C. Dr. Frankenstein
††††††††††††††† D. Herr Himler
20. What is the Kaddish?
††††††††††††††† A. the Jewish prayer for the dead
††††††††††††††† B. a leader of the Jewish community
††††††††††††††† C. the Hebrew translation of ďThe HolocaustĒ
††††††††††††††† D. the book of Jewish mysticism
21. What happens to the prisoners every time they enter a new camp?
††††††††††††††† A. they must strip and shower
††††††††††††††† B. they must submit to searches
††††††††††††††† C. they must go through a gauntlet of prisoners who beat them
††††††††††††††† D. they must go through a selection
22. What is the identification number tattooed on Eliezer?
††††††††††††††† A. X-11091
††††††††††††††† B. B-103
††††††††††††††† C. J-1106
††††††††††††††† D. A-7713
23. What is the name of the distant relative that Eliezer meets at Birkenau?
††††††††††††††† A. Juliek
††††††††††††††† B. Reizel
††††††††††††††† C. Meir Katz
††††††††††††††† D. Stein of
24. What do Eliezerís meals mostly consist of?
††††††††††††††† A. bread and soup
††††††††††††††† B. unidentifiable meat
††††††††††††††† C. goulash
††††††††††††††† D. gruel and beans
25. At Buna, with whom is Eliezer placed in a block?
††††††††††††††† A. electricians
††††††††††††††† B. masons
††††††††††††††† C. farmers
††††††††††††††† D. musicians
26. Who is Idek?
††††††††††††††† A. Eliezerís Kapo in the electrical equipment warehouse
††††††††††††††† B. a violinist who befriends Eliezer
††††††††††††††† C. Yosiís brother
††††††††††††††† D. an old Jewish mystic
27. To whom does Eliezer lose the gold crown on his tooth?
††††††††††††††† A. Franek
††††††††††††††† B. Idek
††††††††††††††† C. Akiba Drumer
††††††††††††††† D. a Jewish dentist from
28. Why does Idek have Eliezer whipped?
††††††††††††††† A. Eliezer tried to protect his father from being beaten
††††††††††††††† B. as a threat to the other prisoners to keep them orderly
††††††††††††††† C. Eliezer walked in on him having sex
††††††††††††††† D. Eliezer asked for an extra ration of bread
29. What does Eliezer later find out about the French girl at Buna?
††††††††††††††† A. she was a spy for the British
††††††††††††††† B. She was a Jew passing as Aryan
††††††††††††††† C. she was a leader of the camp resistance unit
††††††††††††††† D. she was a political dissident who posed a serious threat to the Nazi party
30. What do the Gestapo do after an instance of sabotage at Buna?
††††††††††††††† A. arrest Eliezer
††††††††††††††† B. torture Eliezerís father
††††††††††††††† C. hang a young child
††††††††††††††† D. close down Buna
31. After Akiba Drumerís death, what do Eliezer and the other prisoners do?
††††††††††††††† A. decorate his grave
††††††††††††††† B. forget to say the prayer for the dead
††††††††††††††† C. rebel against the Nazis
††††††††††††††† D. secretly light memorial candles in his honor
32. How do the prisoners react when an air raid occurs at Buna?
††††††††††††††† A. with panic
††††††††††††††† B. with anger
††††††††††††††† C. with joy
††††††††††††††† D. with apathy
33. During the air raid, only one prisoner dies. How does this casualty occur?
††††††††††††††† A. the prisoner kills himself by running into the electric fences
††††††††††††††† B. the prisoner is caught outside and hit by loose shrapnel from a bomb
††††††††††††††† C. the prisoner is beaten to death by a guard while the air raid is going on outside
††††††††††††††† D. the prisoner dies after falling into a pot of soup
34. What instrument does Juliek play?
††††††††††††††† A. guitar
††††††††††††††† B. violin
††††††††††††††† C. piano
††††††††††††††† D. flute
35. How do the SS guards execute prisoners who have committed crimes?
††††††††††††††† A. hanging
††††††††††††††† B. gas chamber
††††††††††††††† C. firing squad
††††††††††††††† D. beheading
36. Why was ďthe sad-eyed angelĒ executed?
††††††††††††††† A. he stole an extra plate of soup
††††††††††††††† B. he helped 25 prisoners escape
††††††††††††††† C. he killed an SS guard
††††††††††††††† D. he blew up a power plant
37. In January 1945, what sort of infection does Eliezer contract?
††††††††††††††† A. mouth
††††††††††††††† B. thumb
††††††††††††††† C. stomach
††††††††††††††† D. foot
38. In the concentration camp hospital, Eliezerís neighbor remarks he has lost faith in everything except what?
††††††††††††††† A. God
††††††††††††††† B. death
††††††††††††††† C. Hitler
††††††††††††††† D. Eliezer
39. During the long run after Buna, what does Eliezer say was the only thing that kept him from giving up?
††††††††††††††† A. his faith in God
††††††††††††††† B. his desire for justice
††††††††††††††† C. his fatherís presence
††††††††††††††† D. a sense of pride
40. In the barracks at Gleinwitz, what does Eliezer hear?
††††††††††††††† A. his motherís voice
††††††††††††††† B. the quiet prayers of all the Jewish prisoners
††††††††††††††† C. Rabbi Eliahouís son mercilessly berating his father
††††††††††††††† D. Juliek playing Beethoven on the violin
41. In the shed, taking a brief break from the run, what does Eliezer pray for?
††††††††††††††† A. for the dead
††††††††††††††† B. for an end to the war
††††††††††††††† C. for the strength to never abandon his father for his own benefit
††††††††††††††† D. for a quick end to their long journey
42. Where does Eliezerís father die?
††††††††††††††† A. Gleiwitz
††††††††††††††† B. Buchenwald
††††††††††††††† C. Birkenau
††††††††††††††† D. Buna
43. Germans throw crusts of bread into the cattle cars
††††††††††††††† A. to mercifully feed the starving prisoners
††††††††††††††† B. to entertain themselves watching the prisoners kill each other for the bread
††††††††††††††† C. as an act of defiance to the SS guards
††††††††††††††† D. at the request of the resistance groups
44. Years later, the author relates a story of children fighting over coins tossed by rich tourists. He does this to illustrate:
††††††††††††††† A. there is a trace of evil in many people
††††††††††††††† B. only the strong survive
††††††††††††††† C. you have to be willing to kill anyone in order to make it in this world
††††††††††††††† D. even he has gotten quite evil in his ways
45. Eliezer sees a ghostlike figure running through the camp and thinks this to be his father. This shows that
††††††††††††††† A. Eliezer is so changed, as well as his father, that they donít recognize each other
††††††††††††††† B. Eliezerís dying father will be going to ďa better place.Ē
††††††††††††††† C. this figure represents an uncaring, unresponsive God
††††††††††††††† D. all of these
46. Why wonít revenge satisfy Eliezer after the liberation?
††††††††††††††† A. most of the war criminals escaped
††††††††††††††† B. the change in him canít be reversed
††††††††††††††† C. Eliezer is filled with so much hate, he canít function
††††††††††††††† D. no one will carry out the revenge for him
47. What did Rabbi Eliahouís son do that was so terrible?
††††††††††††††† A. He beat his father to death
††††††††††††††† B. He kept running and let his father fall behind
††††††††††††††† C. He sold his father for extra rations
††††††††††††††† D. He committed suicide
48. Although the prisoners are continually treated like animals, the block leader orders the prisoners to mop up before being deported. This shows that
††††††††††††††† A. they are willing to do anything to torture the prisoners
††††††††††††††† B. cleaning up is inhumane treatment
††††††††††††††† C. they want to show that they are not animals
††††††††††††††† D. cleanliness was very important
49. Why do you think one prisoner calls the hanging ďa ceremony.Ē
††††††††††††††† A. people were being killed by the thousands every day, this one execution was special
††††††††††††††† B. reasons were given for killing this one person, thousands were killed for no reason
††††††††††††††† C. special executioners were used, thousands were killed in a routine way
††††††††††††††† D. all of these
50. After Eliezerís father dies, the narrative is basically over. Why?
††††††††††††††† A. Eliezerís main motive for living was being with his father
††††††††††††††† B. Eliezer doesnít care about anything, anymore
††††††††††††††† C. Everything that Eliezer cared about, has been taken from him.
††††††††††††††† D. all of these