Night: wkst 1
Directions: Answer each question with a complete sentence. It is best to incorporate the question as part of the answer.
1. Moishe the Beadle escaped the fate of the rest of the foreign Jews who were rounded up before any of the others. What did he say was his reason for returning to Sighet?
2. What were some of the things Moishe said about what had happened to the foreign Jews?
3. How did Moishe the Beadle escape the fate of the rest of the foreign Jews?
4. Why did the people of Sighet “not only refused to believe his tales, they refused to listen”?
5. When did the things begin to change for the rest of the Jews of Sighet?
6. What was the first edict issued by the Germans?
7. Three days later, a new decree came out. What was this second edict?
8. What did other edicts entail?
9. What is a ghetto as defined by this author? Briefly describe a ghetto.
10. After being moved to the ghetto, “Most people thought that we would remain in the ghetto until the end of the war…” What happened?